Two USB-UIRT's?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Postby noodleNT » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:04 pm

:?: How well is this working?

I just built a new Beyond TV server an I have 4 cable boxes that I need to control. I currently Have one USB-UIRT controlling 2 of the boxes. I bought some IR bug shields but these dont seem to do the trick. The idea was to move everything over to girder then program my TV's remote for 2 different IR codes. One for my HD box that I use to watch standard Live TV and the other code would be used to control my computer an Beyond TV.

3 boxes would be dedicated to Beyond TV. The 4rth is just for watching HD content. I wasn't thinking when I put all 4 boxes in the same area. The layout looks great on my TV stand but right now my IR remote is useless because all 4 boxes change channels.

Breakdown of what I am thinking about doing:
Code: Select all
Box 1-3 = Beyond TV sources, 1st USB-UIRT with zone 1 and zone 2 in use, 1 serial control
Box 4 = HDTV, 2nd USB-UIRT on Zone 1

Girder exepts all IR codes from Universal IR remote.
    If Codeset 1 = control BTV & Computer.
    If Codeset 2 = Change HD box channels.
noodleNT

Postby jrhees » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:26 am

I'm not sure what your question is...my head hurts a bit after reading your description :)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby noodleNT » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:45 am

lol... so does mine and I wrote the damn thing!

Ok.... 4 boxs, one of which is HD.
3 will be used with beyond TV
4th will be used for HDTV viewing through normal use.

Can I use 2 UIRT with zone support giving me 6 zones?

If so then part 2.....
My IR remote that comes with the HDTV can control 4 different devices.
I would put in 1 non-Motorola code for source one and use that to control the computer and BTV through girder.

Then with source 2 on the remote, I would use another NON-Motorola code which would be picked up through the UIRT processed through girder and then send the correct motorola IR code to the HD box through the second UIRT on a zoned channel so I can watch live HDTV on my TV.

Is something like this possible? The HTPC will control all aspects of TV use. If your still not clear I can try emailing you a picture of what I am trying to do.
noodleNT

Postby jrhees » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:40 pm

Here are my comments:

1. Two USB-UIRT's could create 6 zones. Keep in mind that each USB-UIRT will be treated as a separate plugin in Girder.

2. Zone 3 of each USB-UIRT (the front IR blaster) will be strong and you may have difficulty shielding the IR to only one set-top-box.

3. The use of Girder to process your non-motorola codes and converting them to mot codes for LIVE HD viewing will work, but you may be disappointed in the delays created. Keep in mind that before the USB-UIRT can transmit the converted code, it must wait until there is no more IR activity from you (holding the remote), to avoid IR collisions.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby noodleNT » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:20 pm

I think this is my only option. I don't watch HDTV that much but when I do I like it. So I will put in another order right now. :D
noodleNT

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:41 pm

Finally got around to setting this up. I went through the steps listed and everthing worked fine but BeyondTV stopped working with the original USB-UIRT. Is there a new driver that I need to install so BTV will see both devices also?

Also... Do you have to rename a device again if you unplug it and plug it back in? Should the device manager see USB-UIRT2? Currently they are both named USB-UIRT in the device manager.

Postby noodleNT » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:42 pm

Sorry... That was me.
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:11 am

For some reason the two started to work fine together... Go figure. Is there a new driver for BTV yet so I can have it control my 3rd cable box?

On another note... WOW. With your hardware and Girder's software I am doing amazing things! I have everything down to one remote all controlled by my computer. This Kicks Ass! :D
noodleNT

Postby jrhees » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:41 pm

I don't believe at this that BTV has the appropriate logic in the main software to control more than one STB...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby noodleNT » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:06 pm

It does. I just have to create IR code files with the Z1 in front of the codes and all works great. So for my cable box type I made 3 extra files and saved them as Z1, Z2 and Z3. Right now their software only shows one USB-UIRT from their drop down list for picking the tuning device.
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:28 am

I should say I am running the 3.5 beta of Beyond TV which supports multi tuners.
noodleNT

2 or 3 satellite receivers

Postby timmytee » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:07 pm

Please clarify if this is possible:

1 license for Beyond TV 3 with 2 lineups (have to verify if one lineup can be used twice from the same account)
2 hauppauge 250 cards inside one computer
1 USBUIRT (is girder required for this or does BTV3 handle it on its own?)
2 satellite receivers from the same satellite service

I would like to be able to record a channel and watch a different one live with the pvr function working. I'm not that concerned about remotes since I may get a gyration (www.gyration.com) keyboard/mouse combo.

Do I need to build a IR transmitter for use with USBUIRT as NoodleNT did? (posting July 22 at 6:04 pm)
timmytee

Postby jrhees » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:52 am

timmytee,

I believe this will work, but since you only want the USB-UIRT to control one of the sat tuners (or possibly you want it to control both tuners but separately), you will need to probably use stick-on emitters and shield each sat tuner from the other.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby noodleNT » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:03 am

If your 2 sat boxes can be setup to accept 2 different IR codes then you wont need the emiters. From what I have read, some sat boxes let you change which codes are used for that box for the soul purpose that more than one box will be used in the same room.

You might want to search the AVS forums and the net for info on your boxs.

BTV can handle the USB-UIRT without the use of Girder.
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:08 am

Any chance of a USB-UIRT2 plugin for BTV?
noodleNT

PreviousNext

Return to General-Discussion