Simple USB control for Windows

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Simple USB control for Windows

Postby Naked » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:55 pm

I have an USB-UIRT that I would like to use for simple control of a few programs in Windows with my remote. I am using USB-UIRT under Linux for the things I need sending signals as well, but I need only reception in Windows.

Namely, the programs would be Media Player Classic and foobar2000. I would hate to buy something like Girder for such a simple deal as this. WinLIRC and uICE neither seem to support USB-UIRT, atleast not directly.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do? Would it be possible to get WinLIRC working with a virtual COM port driver or something? Is there some other program that could do what I want? Or do I have to dig in and start coding something trivial myself?
Nuutti Kotivuori
Naked

Postby Bitmonster » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:02 pm

Look at and follow my signature. ;)
Bitmonster

Postby Naked » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Oh, that's really nice! I will have to look into this deeper. And congratulations on your choice of language / extendability. I will have to look at the source as well!

I guess this is more appropriate some of your discussion forums, but would it be possible to support the WinLIRC protocol in your daemon?

http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/developer.html

It's really simple and doesn't look too good - but it is directly supported by Media Player Classic and there's a 3rd party plugin that supports it for foobar2000. For some reason I have an aversion towards just emulating keystrokes, so I'd love to be able to have direct communication to these pieces of software.
Nuutti Kotivuori
Naked

Postby Bitmonster » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:30 pm

EventGhost has "native" plugins for MPC and Foobar2000 already.
MPC just changed all constants in 6.4.8.9, so if you want to get the newest version working with EG, you have to update the source of the plugin from the german forum (you will find it easily) or you have to wait for EG-version 0.3.1.

WinLIRC client/server support is on the to-do list, but currently no schedule can be given.

If you have some experience with script-languages, you will find it really easy to get all applications with socket-interface-support controlled from EG. Most modules of Python's standard-library are included in EG, so it's mostly only a pair of lines that is needed.

If you want to make it a full featured plugin, you will also find, that it will only need a pair of lines more. Just look at the source of some of the simpler plugins like Foobar2000 or MPC.

But you are right, that such things should be better discussed in the EG-Forum. :)
Bitmonster

Return to General-Discussion