Windows MCE, philips IR and USB-UIRT

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Windows MCE, philips IR and USB-UIRT

Postby mowensmd » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:56 pm

Sorry I'm a bit of a frustrated, ignorant chap. Windows MCE ships with a philips USB IR receiver and two plug-in emitters. But apparently this cannot be used to learn IR, nor send IR from girder as there is no plug-in. Can I buy and use your USB-UIRT in addition to the MCE device? Technically, I could scrap the philips transceiver once I teach the MCE codes, and girder has a MCE plug-in already. Any thoughts?

Mike
mowensmd

Postby jrhees » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:05 pm

I can't really comment on what the Girder MCE plugin can/cannot do. Assuming it can fully control MCE, then yes, you could replace the bundler IR device with the USB-UIRT. However, I cannot vouch for the Girder plugin's ability to fully reproduce what MCE offers via the bundled remote. You may want to ask about this on the Girder forums.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Re: Windows MCE, philips IR and USB-UIRT

Postby salsbst » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:39 am

mowensmd wrote:Sorry I'm a bit of a frustrated, ignorant chap. Windows MCE ships with a philips USB IR receiver and two plug-in emitters. But apparently this cannot be used to learn IR, nor send IR from girder as there is no plug-in. Can I buy and use your USB-UIRT in addition to the MCE device? Technically, I could scrap the philips transceiver once I teach the MCE codes, and girder has a MCE plug-in already. Any thoughts?

Mike

You can use the remote and the emitters with Jon's USB-UIRT. That's what I do. Works very well. The API for the transceiver that comes with the MCE remote is not completely open.

EDIT: You will definitely not get the kind of support that Jon provides from Phillips or Microsoft. The device's power is backed up by the support behind it. That's the best reason to buy a USB-UIRT.
salsbst

Postby maflores » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:40 pm

Has anyone tried this with the HP MCE remote?
maflores

Return to General-Discussion