Am I frying my DVD players?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Am I frying my DVD players?

Postby expatex » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:42 pm

I have a USB-UIRT hooked up to several IR "mouse-style" emitters via a powered Xantech connection block. Among other things, I am using this configuration to pass IR codes to a VCR/DVD combo player from Girder. The emitter is stuck to the front of the player.

I am stuck with a VCR/DVD combo form factor because of space limitations. The quality of these units is suspect to begin with as they are targetted to the budget buyer, but I have gone through two of them from "name brand" manufactureres in the last six months.

Specifically the DVD player part of the unit becomes unable to cleanly read the DVD discs (even ones that played fine on the same unit in the past).

My question is -- given that I am using the high-power setting on the connection block -- could I be destroying the circuitry of the DVD player with the strength of the IR signals? I have not seen similar issues on either of two receivers or my television that also have the emitters attached (but of course they don't read DVDs...).

Thanks in advance for your help.
expatex

Postby jrhees » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:49 pm

You problem with DVD players is probably nothing new -- they just don't seem to last these days...

With that said, you cannot 'fry' your DVD player with too much IR. The worst the IR could do is possibly interfere with the player's operation if somehow the IR light was shining in onto the laser/pickup assembly (I doubt this is happening).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby expatex » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 am

Great, thanks for the reassurance and making a great product!
expatex

Return to General-Discussion