external emitters

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

external emitters

Postby ElvisIncognito » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:24 am

What external emitters are compatible (or incompatible)? Can you suggest a source? Should I be ableto use a "Y" adapter if I want to use 2 external emitters?
ElvisIncognito

Re: external emitters

Postby jrhees » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:13 am

ElvisIncognito wrote:What external emitters are compatible (or incompatible)? Can you suggest a source? Should I be ableto use a "Y" adapter if I want to use 2 external emitters?

ElvisIncognito,

I will be purchasing a few to verify compatibility. I should have more information next week. As far as multiple emitters, more that two will begin to reduce output power considerably. I plan to also post some series/parallel circuits.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Looking forward to result of emitters research!

Postby salsbst » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:02 pm

John,

Just a word of encouragement on the emitters research... I'm the owner of a functional UIRT2B with two emitters.... but they are UGLY because I was a beginner when I soldered my emitters.

If the emitters turn out well I'll be a customer.

BTW, I can't understand why there's an emitter in the front of the box? Wouldn't two jacks in the rear have been more popular?

Regards,
salsbst

whooops, sorry about the spelling of your name, Jon! <eom

Postby salsbst » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:03 pm

Force of habit, sorry!
salsbst

Re: Looking forward to result of emitters research!

Postby jrhees » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:25 pm

salsbst wrote:John,
BTW, I can't understand why there's an emitter in the front of the box? Wouldn't two jacks in the rear have been more popular?

Regards,

A very good question! For many the front emitters won't be too useful with the unit sitting on their TV. But for others, it will be sufficient. It turns out that adding the emitters cost about the same as a connector jack -- which by itself doesn't make a usable product for anyone without purchasing emitters. Now, some are fine with making their own low-cost emitters (I may even make some available on the site), but for others this means another $10+ plus shipping just to get something working.

This is simply one of the tradeoffs made to make 'something' that people can actually get their hands on. Developing the 'ideal' product, which obviously is what everyone wants, is unfortunately unrealistic unless money and time are no object :)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:37 am

I do not know how much time you want to put into custom Units, but I bet people(like my self) would be willing to pay extra to eliminate the Xantech system altogether so infact that it could be also a standalone system in addition to the primary function as a USB-UIRT. Just a thought.

Jim
Jim

First things first

Postby jon_rhees » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:30 am

Jim wrote:I do not know how much time you want to put into custom Units, but I bet people(like my self) would be willing to pay extra to eliminate the Xantech system altogether so infact that it could be also a standalone system in addition to the primary function as a USB-UIRT. Just a thought.

Jim

A good thought. First things first, though. At this point, I need to get a feel for the requirements to support the beast I've already made :)

-Jon
jon_rhees

Any updates?

Postby ElvisIncognito » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:01 pm

Jon-

How's the external emitter testing going? Do you have a list (even a short one) of tested/known-compatible/incompatible emitters?

Thanks!
ElvisIncognito

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:03 pm

Yes, see my posting in http://65.36.202.170/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=22

I bought all of these emitters (around $10 each) at:

http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

UK shop that sells external emitters that work

Postby Guest » Wed May 18, 2005 10:33 am

Hi, if anybody is interested, I bought a set of external emitters from http://www.letsautomate.com/10063.cfm? that seem to work perfectly, I bought dual unbranded invisible.

thanks
Paul

Return to General-Discussion