3 External emmitters

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

3 External emmitters

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:34 am

I just got my USB-UIRT and i love it. The only thing is i'm planning on building 3 stick-on emitters (DVD, Cable, TV) and was wondering if the 1/8" stereo jack can run 3 emitters. I know that it can handle 2 (one on the ring one on the tip with the base being ground), but can i put 2 led's in parallel on the tip and have all 3 work?

Thanks in advance

Postby jrhees » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:58 pm

Since the USB-UIRT's 1/8" output has nearly a full 5V swing, you can put two emitters on each circuit (tip or ring) in SERIES without problem.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:57 pm

Does this mean that using the USB-UIRT you can techinically control up to 5 different devices? (4 one the stereo jack and 1 from the front)

Postby jrhees » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:01 am

No, not necessarily.

1. You can control *many* devices with the USB-UIRT if the devices are *different* devices (each respond to their own IR codes). This is especially true with the built-in blaster -- any device that can be reached by the blaster can be controlled. Also, plugging stick-on emitters in the back can allow you to control individual devices, since stick-on emitters are low-power and are basically only strong enough for the device they are stuck to.

2. If you need to control multiples of the *same* device, such as multiple of the same cable box, you would need to use the stick-on emitter approach, in which case, only 2 or 3 of the same device can be controlled (one for each channel or 'zone' on the USB-UIRT).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Emitters in series?

Postby bryan_chow » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:09 am

Hi Jon,

What does in-series mean? I have a headphone splitter connected to one of the outputs of my UIRT, and two emitters attached to it. Is that in series?

Is it possible to increase the strength of the UIRT's IR signal? The signal is quite weak after splitting.

Alternatively, are there any IR distribution systems you can recommend that will work well with the UIRT?

Thanks...
bryan_chow

Postby jrhees » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:29 pm

bryan,

No, a splitter puts them in parallel. Serier would require custom wiring.

You may want to search the forum for IR dist blocks others have used.

The strength of the output jack *can* be increased but requires soldering in a different resistor.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion