Cable/socket modification request

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Cable/socket modification request

Postby peterjwhite » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:31 am

I haven't bought USB-UIRT yet, but I'm planning to buy 3 or 4 units for myself and some friends. The pictures on the website show a grey USB cable mounted somehow inside the unit. My request is this: why not forget the cable and just mount a USB socket in the UIRT? That way we could choose the length and colour of the cable to suit our circumstances.

A further design improvement would be to include screw holes in the plastic casing so that the UIRT can easily be wall/shelf/ceiling/bookcase mounted...
peterjwhite
peterjwhite

Postby jrhees » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:11 pm

Good suggestions -- here's why these design decisions were not chosen:

Cable vs. connector -- this has an implication on USB certification. Also the unit is so small that a USB connector really wasn't an option (besides the molded grip on most USB cables is nearly half the size of the whole unit).

Mounting screws -- again, the case is so small this isn't really an option. Many (I believe) mount with a piece of stick-on velcro, etc.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby peterjwhite » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:20 pm

jrhees wrote:Good suggestions -- here's why these design decisions were not chosen:

Cable vs. connector -- this has an implication on USB certification. Also the unit is so small that a USB connector really wasn't an option (besides the molded grip on most USB cables is nearly half the size of the whole unit).

Mounting screws -- again, the case is so small this isn't really an option. Many (I believe) mount with a piece of stick-on velcro, etc.

-Jon

Hi Jon, thanks again for another quick reply. I haven't seen a sample unit yet so I didn't realise it really was that small. Please see my additional questions on the other post...
peterjwhite
peterjwhite

Return to General-Discussion