RCA HDTV and Wired IR

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

RCA HDTV and Wired IR

Postby 0tisFrump » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:22 pm

I am trying to control all my A/V equipment with a Xantech IR distribution system and the USB-UIRT but I am having trouble with the RCA TV portion. I can't seem to find the IR receiver on the front of the TV so I can place a stick-on emitter over it. Then I noticed the wired IR port on the back of the set but the users manual gives no info about it. So my questions are:

1. - where is the %#@*^() IR receiver of the front panel?

2. - can I plug into the wired IR port on the TV and connect that to the IR IN port on a Xantech connecting block?

Thanks in advance.
Alan Whitney
0tisFrump

Postby jrhees » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:24 pm

I somewhat doubt the IR jack on the back of the TV will work -- at least not without more details.

Is this a regular TV or a big-screen (projection) TV?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby 0tisFrump » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm

This is a 52" widescreen HDTV. The users manual gives the following description of the port:

"WIRED IR This jack is for connecting a wired remote control system, which is primarily for professional installers. If you're using the remote that was included with your TV, don't plug anything into this jack or the TV won't respond to the remote."

Alan
0tisFrump

Postby jrhees » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:59 pm

Based on the description, you might get away with connecting a cable between your distribution system's flasher or emitter ports to the TV.

As far as the TV's IR sensor, many RPTV's locate their IR sensor on the same panel where the projection lenses are located, with the IR sensor facing straight up. This way, aiming your remote into the screen, the IR bounces off of the internal mirror and lands on the sensor.

Unfortunately, this does not work for low-power stick-on emitters.

If you're ambitious, you can remove your RPTV's front screen (they're designed to be removed so the lenses can be cleaned) and run an emitter wire into the chassis and set it near the internal IR receiver. That's what I did on my TV.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby 0tisFrump » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:12 pm

I did some further (basic) testing and found that the WIRED IR port on the TV has a +5v potential across the leads at all times with no change when I press a key on the remote.

As far as location goes, I wondered why it seemed as though the IR Receiver could be activated by placing the remote right against the screen and pressing a button. If I can't track down more info on the TV's IR port, I will try removing the bezel.

Alan
0tisFrump

Return to General-Discussion