How to use usb uirt to simulate a button hold?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

How to use usb uirt to simulate a button hold?

Postby ldavis » Sun May 04, 2003 4:32 am

This may be simple but I haven't quite figured out how to do it. What I am trying to accomplish is a continuous volume change by holding down the volume up or down. Essentially, I would like the volume to continue to change as long as I hold the button (as on the original remote). I know how to get the usb uirt to send a command multiple times each time it is triggered by an event. I want to be able to hold a button on the remote triggering the event to get the IR command sent multiple times. Is this possible?

Lain
ldavis

Postby jrhees » Wed May 07, 2003 11:17 pm

Yes and no (without complications)

I assume you are trying to have Girder receive an event for one button on a remote and translate it to another IR commant to be transmitted to your equip. for volume, etc. Since there is no 'button down', 'button up' event for Girder, the best way to do this is to transmit a short burst of 'volume up' out for each event received (the length of burst is adjusted by the repeat count). However, this method is fraught with the problem of IR collisions -- since now Girder will try to transmit while you're holding down the button on the remote, which is blasting IR all over the room. To avoid this required emitters placed on your equip. and they must shield your equipmentt from seeing the remote.

Does this make sense?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby MurrayW » Mon May 19, 2003 5:18 am

jrhees wrote:Yes and no (without complications)

Since there is no 'button down', 'button up' event for Girder, the best way to do this is to transmit a short burst of 'volume up' out for each event received (the length of burst is adjusted by the repeat count).
-Jon

Jon,
What value would you recommend to use for the repeat count? I do have my receiver shielded from stray IR and it gets its's IR signal through an emitter.

thanks,

Murray
MurrayW

Postby jrhees » Mon May 19, 2003 5:17 pm

I usually base repeat count on experimentation. There are two reasons to mess with repeat count:

1. To simulate holding a button for a while (used for volume, etc.)
2. To make a transmission more robust.

I usually set repeat count at 4 or higher for reliability. Rarely in actual use does a person hit a button on a remote 'quickly' enough for only one or two stream bursts.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Same issue here

Postby Dutch » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:01 pm

I want to do the same thing but in my case with the HomeSeer plug-in.
I have to press the STOP button on my remote for 4 seconds to set my VCR in 'tuner-mode'. In the IR-Options menu I can set the repeat count but I don't know if this setting will be for all buttons or individual?

Please advise :lol:

Grtz,
Dutch

Keep up the good work!
Dutch

Postby jrhees » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:14 am

Dutch,

That *is* a problem, since the repeat count (which can be dialed up to 127 I believe) might get you to four seconds, but that would affect *all* buttons!

I'm trying to think of a user-friendly way to support what you're trying to do in the software.

Any ideas?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

quick and dirty

Postby Dutch » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:06 pm

Well, I have an idea how to get this working quick and dirty...

I could just have one button in a device (I can set 10 devices in total) and set the repeat count to 127. I assume the repeat count is set per device (or is it for all devices, like a global setting?)

Grtz,
Dutch
Dutch

Postby jrhees » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:58 am

Currently the repeat count is a global setting. Keep in mind that HomeSeer treats all codes a simply a 'slot' from 1 to 255 and doesn't pass the plugin any info on devices, etc. Also, the plugin is bound by the HS user interface (there are no per-code or per-device config buttons, etc.)

What I *could* do, however, is put something in the 'Learn' dialog. Then, when learning a code for a particular function, you could enable some sort of repeat count override, etc. The down-side is that to get back to that dialog to change the setting if you wanted to, would require pressing the 'L' button again (and having to re-learn, etc.)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Dutch » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:27 am

That *would* be a great option! Having to re-learn is not a big deal, is it?

Grtz,
Dutch
Dutch

Any updates

Postby Dutch » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:54 am

Whats the status on this subject?
I would love to be able to simulate a button hold with the HomeSeer plugin!

Grtz,
Dutch
Dutch

Postby jrhees » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:57 pm

Dutch,

I have a newer version of the plugin which allows you to override the default repeat on a per-button basis. Email me at support@usbuirt.com for details...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion