USB-UIRT to Xantech 789-44 connecting block

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT to Xantech 789-44 connecting block

Postby seanspicer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:22 pm

I know that this has been asked and posted a number of times but there has never been a definitive answer. I'm hoping that someone may have tried this and knows whether it will work.

I want to connect the USB-UIRT jack plug to either the screw terminals or IR-in jack plug on an amplified Xantech connecting block, specifically this one:

http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_78944.htm

Some time ago, the following circuit diagram was posted as a possible way of doing this, eliminating possible damage to any components:

http://65.36.202.170/xantech.jpg

Is it still the case that I need to build this circuit, or has anyone successfully wired directly ?

Thanks

Sean
seanspicer

I have done this, but there can be amplification issues...

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:24 am

I tried a set up like this, with direct wiring (cut and stripped the plug from a pair of headphones) and got mixed results. A word of warning -- my experience is all anecdotal -- I have not attempted to measure any of this or apply much critical thought, its just what I think I observed.

While it worked for the most part with the connecting block you linked to (or the two-zone version of it, anyway), I ended up suspecting that the block does not amplify the signal enough for my purposes despite the power supply being connected. I ended up with the impression that the power supply is there primarily to power the Xantech receivers (12 V output?), which have no power supply of their own.

The bottom line for me was that I was splitting each zone from the USB-UIRT (5V output?) to two emitters and the signal seemed to be too weak some of the time for some of my components.

In the end I purchased the next step up in the connecting block line from Xantech -- the ones specifically called "... Amplified ..." in the product name. These are more expensive but I found a couple on eBay (one for each zone). I am relatively happy with this set up, but still have not had the time to debug all the glitches -- which may just be a matter of time, more experience with Girder, etc.

I did make another related post today -- I think the high power output of the amplified connecting block may have fried a couple of DVD players using the stick-on "mouse" emitters. This is just speculation on my part and I am looking for someone here to validate that as a possibility. It may have just been the cheap hardware put in low-end (but "name-brand") DVD players breaking on its own...

Question answered

Postby expatex » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 am

Jon answered my question about the possible effects of too much IR on the DVD player -- he says its not possible to destroy the DVD player that way.

So that makes my answer a more definitive yes -- I think this kind of set up can works fine. I also noticed that there is some advice to stay away from the emitters that light up -- I am using those and they need more power.
expatex

Postby wysocki » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:25 am

So what is the way to connect the Xantech 789-44 to the usbuirt? I connected the jack on the back of the uirt to the screw terminal (ground/signal) and there is no amplification of the signal to the emitters (very dim). I have a receiver plugged into the Xantech now. Should I plug the output of the uirt to the receiver input on the Xantech (3pin)? Has anyone connected these two devices successfully?
wysocki

Postby Frank Mc Alinden » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:53 am

Hi

I have just posted this link on another section of this Forum ..

http://www.smarthome.com/8175.HTML

HTH

Frank
Frank Mc Alinden

Return to General-Discussion