Integration with IR Distribution Blocks

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Integration with IR Distribution Blocks

Postby Cyndrax » Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:49 pm

How difficult would this be to tie into a Xantech (or any other) IR distribution system? Is there a simple cable that would plug into the blaster "hole" on the UIRT and into an input on the distribution system? Would you then have to use an IR blaster from the Xantech taped to the front of the UIRT to bring IR back the other way?

Brian
Cyndrax

Re: Integration with IR Distribution Blocks

Postby jrhees » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:07 pm

Cyndrax wrote:How difficult would this be to tie into a Xantech (or any other) IR distribution system? Is there a simple cable that would plug into the blaster "hole" on the UIRT and into an input on the distribution system? Would you then have to use an IR blaster from the Xantech taped to the front of the UIRT to bring IR back the other way?

Brian

Brian,

Good question. I am unfamiliar with the 'two-way' distribution systems you refer to. Could you give more details or post a link to get me started?

As for TRANSMIT, I believe an understanding of a Xantech IR 'splitter' block would allow me to come up with an 'adapter cable' from the jack on the back.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Cyndrax » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:17 pm

Something like the 4 Zone connecting block (Part # 8192) on

http://www.smarthome.com/8191A.html

Its manual is on the Xantech page

http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_79520.htm

I am not particularly tied to this piece of equipment, as I haven't purchased it yet, but I am looking for something along those lines. I want to be able to gather signals from a few different sources (UIRT/Computer, Pronto, etc.) and send them to various components in a rack.

Brian
Cyndrax

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:52 pm

I too am interested in intergrating it into a Xantech IR dist system so any info would be appreciated.

Jim
Jim

Postby Tivolicious » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:42 pm

I tried to get Jon to do this (at the very very beginning). However, he didn't seem to have any interest.

Oh well.

Cheers,
Steve
Tivolicious

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:41 pm

Well, I think the question is what voltage levels the emitters are being driven with. Xantech is a 12 Volt system, and if the UIRT is driving a 5 volts, then you need a circuitry in the middle...

But if it's a 12V system, that might work just by plugging it in. Otherwise you have to use an IR Linc or similar circuitry...

IR isn't that complicated to make work, but without a schematic for the new UIRT it's hard to tell how much work is involved.

Thanks,
Mike

Postby jrhees » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:49 am

Anonymous wrote:Well, I think the question is what voltage levels the emitters are being driven with. Xantech is a 12 Volt system, and if the UIRT is driving a 5 volts, then you need a circuitry in the middle...

But if it's a 12V system, that might work just by plugging it in. Otherwise you have to use an IR Linc or similar circuitry...

IR isn't that complicated to make work, but without a schematic for the new UIRT it's hard to tell how much work is involved.

Thanks,
Mike

Exactly,

If someone already has a Xantech dist block they'd be willing to open up (or knows where tech details of the input 'SIG' format is, that would help a lot.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:59 am

Greetings:

Can't find any tech specs, but I did find this:

http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_78944.pdf

I was on the RedRat site, and found an image of the RedRat
connected directly to an IR distribution block - they connected
wires to the IR emitter traces on the board, then connected
those to GND and SIG (which I'm assuming would be GND and
IR IN on the Xantech):

http://www.dodgies.demon.co.uk/FAQ/RR2ConnBlk.jpg

Anyone know anything about the RedRat?

Cheers!

Jeff

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:05 pm

:twisted:

Last time I looked at my Xantech distribution block there isn't much inside besides a PCB with a few current limiting resistors one for each output.

Laz

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:14 pm

:twisted:

I looked at the above posted URL were the Redrat is hacked and connected to the distributor made by Buffalo Electronics.

The way it looks to me that they tapped into the logic TX signal before it is amplified and sent it directly to the distribution box.

This box has a powered driver built in that requires external wall wart.

The Xantech model I have is a passive unit and it only contains current limiting resistors.

Laz

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:50 pm

Has anyone successfully connected to a distribution block? If so, could you please mention the model and what was involved?

Postby Micah » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:42 pm

I just ordered an 857 http://www.hometech.com/infrared/blocks.html#RU-857 from hometech and it should be here on Wednesday. It's a 6 out powered dist block. I'll see if it works without any extra circuitry and let you know how it goes. If it doesn't work I'll take some pictures of the guts of the thing and post 'em here.
Micah

Return to General-Discussion