TCP/IP-UIRT

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

TCP/IP-UIRT

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:24 pm

Hey Jon,
Ever consider building a TCP/IP-UIRT? It seems that would be more versatile than having to run a USB cable to the PC, which could even be on a different level of a home than the stuff you would like to control with IR (or from where you want to read IR). Lots of homes are wired for ethernet now, and even in those that are not, one could connect a TCP/IP-UIRT to a wireless access point and have handy IR control or sampling wherever they want. That would be uber! No more dragging the PC into the entertainment room.

Look how small the whole ethernet connection part with embedded web server has become:
http://www.lantronix.com/device-network ... xport.html

It would probably fit in your existing case. It would definitely be more money than the USB version is now, but if GC is able to sell a similar device that doesn't work properly for $150, plus cost of blasters, plus $120 for a learner, you could sell a better unit, all-in-one, and still way-undercut their package price.

NetRemote could use it without Girder and a PC.
:D

Postby jrhees » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:02 am

Yes I've considered this before, but have not been happy with the price points I've been able to achieve in preliminary designs. I would like to get something in the <$75 price point.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby sila1999 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:17 am

Do what i have done and request a free sample, over the past year have gotten 4 of them as freebies
sila1999

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Any news on the development of this Tcp/ip uirt?
Are there a planned release soon or should I look elsewhere?

Postby jrhees » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:13 pm

I have been looking into this more...

I would be interested in informally how many are looking for such a solution?

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby tscales » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:29 am

I absolutely would. Any other solution is either incredibly expensive or a terrible kluge
tscales

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:04 am

Would it work like this:?
The uirt can be placed anywhere in the house and connects to the network with a network cable. The uirt has an ip address. Then you can send ir signals from the uirt with any computer connected to the same network.

This would be very useful to control equipment in different rooms, or like me, from my ppc without having any computer running elsewhere in the house.

How would the IR learing work? would you still need an usb-uirt to learn the ir codes?

Postby jrhees » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:23 pm

That's the general idea. Most likely the unit would perform all of the same functions as the USB-UIRT (receive + transmit + learn). The existing API would be upgraded to support the TCP version which would mean apps already programmed to control a USB-UIRT could automatically now control the net version. Also, TCP/IP would likely be used so that you could even control across the internet, etc.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Frank Mc Alinden » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:37 am

Hi Jon
I would be interested in a new version of the Uirt if you were to use a larger pic ie 16f876 and have i/o available for the user....For me im thinking of using the i/o to control my Zoned ir transport system...So im able to send the uirt ir signal to any of my 8 zones....and also have the Uirt report which Zone it received an ir from ,by reading the status of 3 of the i/o pins........

Thanks
Frank
Frank Mc Alinden

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:41 am

I have two units now.

It would make my life MUCH eaiser if I could utilize a networked vesion.

Count me in for at least two of these networked UIRT boxes!

me too

Postby JimA » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:42 pm

Count me in too.

Have coax from sat receiver to PC on different floor with PVR-250/SageTV. Looking for way to have Sage change channels, house is wired with TCP/IP so your solution would work great.
JimA

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:25 pm

Count me in too!

Thanks!

Using inetd for TCP/IP

Postby xyster » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:34 am

I may be missing something.
Instead of creating a whole new and complex device (with its own administration overhead) would it not be easier to create a simple command line tool to bridge the device TTY to stdin/stdout and export it over TCP/IP using inetd?
This would work for Unix systems with the existing USB-UIRT and I would not be surprised if there is an inetd Windows port.
xyster

Postby jrhees » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:12 pm

The concept in this device is not necessarily to inet-enable a USB-UIRT (although it would), it is more the idea to be able to have units *without* a PC needed.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:39 pm

I have been posting here today about wireless USB servers because a networkable UIRT would be idea in many home setups (including mine).
This would allow people to control multiple AV zones throughout the house with one PC instead of one PC per zone.

hjackson

Next

Return to General-Discussion