USB-UIRT and DTV Converter Boxes

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT and DTV Converter Boxes

Postby drczzz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:19 pm

I have seen only 1 post on this topic, and no responses. I have both Zeinth DTT 901 and RCA DTA 809 digital to analog converter boxes, and want to know if the USB-UIRT will work with them. Lists of supported products appear to be cable and satellite boxes only.
Thanks
drczzz

Reply to myself!

Postby drczzz » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:01 pm

I notice 133 views of the original post, but no replies. Since my original post, I have learned more, and maybe this will help someone else.
First, this is the system I am using. Windows vista (yuck!!), Hauppauge USB2 PVR, Beyond TV 4.8, and either RCA DTA 809 converter, or Zenith DTT901 converter. I also have an Hauppauge PVR1600 in the same computer. Instructions assume that the USB2-PVR has already been configured to word with Beyond TV. If not, then in step 2 one must perform full configuration as per on screen intsructions.

1) Download and setup--Downloaded drivers as per www.usbuirt.com/getstart.htm. No instructions for vista, but ignored that problem. Extracted files into folder on hdd. Plugged in USBUIRT, system found new hardware. Followed windows instructions and pointed to folder containing drivers. Windows installed drivers O.K.

2) Configuing USBUIRT for Beyond TV--Start the Beyond TV setup wizard. Step through everything until "Audio and Video Sources" screen. My system has the Hauppauge USB-2 pvr, and PVR 1600. The 1600 has it's own IR blaster (although I have yet to get it to work!). The USBUIRT is for the USB2 PVR. So selected "edit existing source" then select the USB2 source. For "Video Broadcast Source" select "External Cable Box". For "Capture Device" select the USB2 Encoder". For "Channel Lineup" select "Antenna (Analog) Zipcode". (I am using an antenna, hence the need for a DTA converter). For "Select Lineup" choose "Antenna (analog) zipcode". For "Video Input" choose either "Video Composite" or "Video Svideo" depending on how the converter box is connected to the recorder.
For "Tuning Device" select "USB-UIRT". Now ready to "setup" for partiular DTA box.

3) At this point must be able to view output from recording device (USB2-PVR for example). For my application, I started the Hauppauge WinTV application to use the USB2 recorder. Note: if you have more than one recorder in your system (e.g. USB2 and PVR 1600), the device you want to see MUST BE FIRST in "Audio and Video Sources" list. If the order is not correct, it can be reorderded using the Beyond TV online Advanced Settings.

4)Once the WinTV application is running, check that the DTA box is working correctly by changing channels using the DTA box remote.

5)For (Select Set-top Box Model) select "RCA DRD430RG" from the list for the RCA DTA809. I have found that this works correctly.

6)For the Zeinth DTT901 box, I have not been able to get it to work. I tried using "Zenith Cable Box ST-1600" and programing the USB-UIRT with the DTT901 remote but nothing worked. I could see that the USB-UIRT was being programed, and the light "blinked" as the final test was performed, but the DTT901 never responed. I tried varying the various parameters, but nothing worked.

So, if anyone has experince with the Zenith DTT901, please let me know.

I know this is "long winded" -- I hope it will be useful for someone.
drczzz

Return to General-Discussion