WOL Connection To USB-UIRT

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Postby Shinshi » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 pm

I would like to pull a signal voltage from the USB-UIRT to trigger an external circuit so I can power on my HTPC from totally off.

I have read threads on other forums in regards to supplying a signal voltage to the WOL or WOR motherboard connector, but none addressed where to get this signal from on the USB-UIRT.

Ultimately I would like to interface this output voltage with an external circuit utilizing a optocoupler connected in parallel with my power switch. This would allow power on/off without requiring a motherboard with a WOL or WOR header.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to achieve this?
Shinshi

Postby jrhees » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:45 am

The biggest difficyulty in doing this is that you would need to supply +5V to the USB-UIRT while the PC was off. Forcing 5V on the USB supply pins of the USB port would not be good for your USB port, I suppose.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Shinshi » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:12 am

I have already experimented with drawing +5Vsb from the motherboard power connector. I don't expect it is much of a task to run power from there to the USB-UIRT so it receives power whenever the power supply is on.

The difficulty I was having, is determining where on the USB-UIRT circuit board I could get a signal voltage.

I currently use an old IRA-3 receiver to trigger a WOL connector. Now that my current motherboard does not have a WOL connector, I used the WOL signal voltage to switch an optocoupler wired to my motherboard power button pins. I was hoping to accomplish this task using the USB-UIRT rather than having both connected to my HTPC.
Shinshi

Postby vman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 pm

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?http:/ ... eiver.html

This doesn't have any transmit capabilities as designed. The Tira-2 nor USB-UIRT has this type power on ability. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a complete prebuilt solution out there.
vman

Return to General-Discussion