IR emitter choice

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

IR emitter choice

Postby Wayne » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:51 pm

After checking out a number of software programs for my needs, I found Powerhome to be great for automating my bedroom. I am a quadriplegic and spend a lot of time laying in bed. I get tired of watching the same television channel for hours until someone could help me. So I set up my computer on a bedside table and use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to operate it with my voice.
With the USB UIRT and Powerhome I can now switch between using the television and radio and operate them just like I had use of the remote-control.
The one problem I have is when I change the position of the bedside table, I have to reposition the USB UIRT so that it is pointing the right direction. What would be the best IR emitter for me to plug in the USB UIRT so I can aim the signal in multiple directions? The television is about eight feet from the USB UIRT and I do not want to run wires to the components from the table.
Wayne

Postby jrhees » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:35 pm

Wayne,

I have seen (but don't remember where) plug-in 'Blaster' emitters which differ from the standard stick-on emitters because they are full-size IRLED's. However, even these emitters will not be as strong as the built-in emitters since the current output of the 1/8" jack is limited to match stick-on emitters. If you need more strength, the internal resistors for the 1/8" jack would need to be replaced.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:41 am

Do you think I can do it with mirrors? Or a prism?
Wayne

Postby jrhees » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:42 am

....maybe....

There's probably a bit of experimentation in order.

'Spreading' the existing blaster's light around may be effective if the IR receiver in your television has good sensitivity.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion