IR Splitter/extender

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

IR Splitter/extender

Postby Alaric » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi there,

Want to use Wifi with a USB-UIRT to control a load of AV kit, which should be fine. However a couple of items are in the ajoining room to the UIRT. IE my kit rack is seperate to the media room, so i'm looking for something to repeate the IR close to the sensors in the other room...Is there such and extender/splitter that anyone would recomend.

Idealy i'd like a couple of wires with an small led sizes IR transmitter so one can go over my PJ's IR interface and the other inside a Futronix light controler.

Ta,
Lee
Alaric

Postby jrhees » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:26 pm

Just use some external stick-on emitters. If the 6 foot cable is not long enough, purchase an off-the-shelf headphone extension cable to allow for a longer cable run (or wire one yourself).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:29 am

Along those same lines can you use the USBUIRT in conjunction with some other hardware to remotely receive and send to master USBUIRT for retransmitting an IR signal? IOW can you hardwire another receiver into a UIRT for whole house IR use?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:30 am

Along those same lines can you use the USBUIRT in conjunction with some other hardware to remotely receive and send to master USBUIRT for retransmitting an IR signal? IOW can you hardwire another receiver into a UIRT for whole house IR use?

Postby jrhees » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:58 am

This can be done, but it is very custom...you would have to wire extra IR receivers in parallel with the internal one with shielded cable.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

would either of these IR receivers work

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:53 am

Would Radio Shack's Infrared Phototransistor or the 38kHz IR Receiver Module work for soldering in parallel to the USB-UIRT's built-in detector? If so, how would cabling have to be shielded? (i.e., could one of the pins be the same as the shield, or would the shield need to be true ground, or an isolated signal?) If only 2 wires are needed (incl the shield), I assume GR-6 coax would work? If more wires are needed, how about an S-Video cable? Do you have any guesses as to how long the cable could be (I'm aiming for 50+ feet)?

(Essentially, I'm trying to find an ultra-cheap, wired alternative to getting an IR->RF extender set.)

Postby jrhees » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:02 am

If the remote you're trying to receive from is 38KHz, then the radio-shack 38KHz receiver might work ok.

You would need to have a 3-conductor, shielded cable (one conductor could be the shield). The shield would be wired to the IR receiver's ground, and the other two conductors would be for signal and V+. You would also need to put a 4.7uF capacitor out at the receiver between V+ and Ground.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion