USB Cable Length

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

USB Cable Length

Postby MurrayW » Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:18 am

How long is the USB cable and for an additional charge could a unit be built with a longer cable if needed?

thanks,

MurrayW
MurrayW

Re: USB Cable Length

Postby jrhees » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:49 am

MurrayW wrote:How long is the USB cable and for an additional charge could a unit be built with a longer cable if needed?

thanks,

MurrayW

MurrayW,

There are two options. 1) I can build custom with with a 3 or 5 meter cable (approx 9 or 15 ft.) -or- 2) I can include a USB extension cable (3 meter/9 ft.).

The custom cable would cost approx $5 adder while the extension cable would be about a $8 adder.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby MurrayW » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:21 pm

jrhees wrote:MurrayW,

There are two options. 1) I can build custom with with a 3 or 5 meter cable (approx 9 or 15 ft.) -or- 2) I can include a USB extension cable (3 meter/9 ft.).

The custom cable would cost approx $5 adder while the extension cable would be about a $8 adder.

-Jon

Jon,

I saw on another forum that the standard cable length is 6 ft. This would most likely be long enough, but if I wanted to play it safe, would a 9 ft cable be any less reliable than the 6 ft one? I would much rather have the cable be a little too long than too short.

thanks,

Murrayw
MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:27 pm

jrhees wrote:MurrayW,

-Jon

Jon,

I saw on another forum that the standard cable length is 6 ft. This would most likely be long enough, but if I wanted to play it safe, would a 9 ft cable be any less reliable than the 6 ft one? I would much rather have the cable be a little too long than too short.

thanks,

Murrayw
MurrayW

Postby jon_rhees » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:52 pm

MurrayW wrote:Jon,

thanks,

Murrayw

I have found a supplier of a black USB cable which is somewhat longer (7+ feet) and will be receiving some shortly. If this cable proves to provide good USB signalling, I will likely use it for some initial shipments. Besides, many have been asking for black.

-Jon
jon_rhees

Postby MurrayW » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:43 pm

[quote="jon_rhees

I have found a supplier of a black USB cable which is somewhat longer (7+ feet) and will be receiving some shortly. If this cable proves to provide good USB signalling, I will likely use it for some initial shipments. Besides, many have been asking for black.

-Jon[/quote]

Jon,

I'm ready to order one of these. How do I order a black 9' cable? On the order page there were no options to indicate a longer cable?

thanks,

Murray
MurrayW

Postby jrhees » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:28 pm

Murray,

Simply order one and then send me (via the support link) an email with your cable length request.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Dutch » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:37 pm

What's the maximum length the USB cable can be?
Is there a way to amplify the signal/power?

Grtz,
Dutch
Dutch

Postby jrhees » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:13 am

Per USB spec the cable cannot exceed 15 feet. To extend further you would need to put a USB hub in between.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion