Can the USB-UIRT wake a PC from suspend-to-ram (STR) mode?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Can the USB-UIRT wake a PC from suspend-to-ram (STR) mode?

Postby rbmcgee » Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:34 pm

Hi all,

Any special commands required?
Bob
rbmcgee

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:20 pm

Most motherboards of late support Wake-from-Suspend via USB. With such systems, the USB-UIRT can be programmed (via the Girder plugin) to respond to up to four different remote buttons to initiate a wakeup. This will then work even if Girder is not running (independent of any SW that uses the USB-UIRT).

FYI: I am currently working through an issue with one user in Sweden where this feature doesn't work fully on his Swedish version of Win2K (still don't know why). In his case, the PC still resumes but Girder cannot see the USB-UIRT after resume.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby xuniman » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:51 am

I have gotten it to work waking up from Standby. My question is about why the system, WindowsXP Pro, gives me an error "USB-UIRT driver will not allow Hibernate entry" or something similar when I try to put my machine into Hibernate. Is this not supported?

I have a relatively new system - ASUS P4PE motherboard with all the newest drivers for my hardware.

Thanks in advance
xuniman

Postby jrhees » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:32 am

xuniman,

The USB-UIRT will not be able to wake a PC from hibernate, since the PC essentially shuts completely OFF (hibernate stores all RAM to an image on the hard drive). HOWEVER, there is a problem with the current USB driver which prevents the computer from going into hibernation and gives you the error message you see. I have a newer driver I am evaluating which corrects this bug, and I'll post it within a few days after testing is complete. Be aware, though, that with the bug fixed, you will be able to go into hibernation with the USB-UIRT connected but will still not be able via USB-UIRT from Hibernate.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby xuniman » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:21 pm

Any word when the updated driver will be available. I would really like to be able to use Hibernate again (I know that the USB-UIRT will not wake the PC from this state).
xuniman

Postby jrhees » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:55 pm

jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:06 am

That's what I call service!

Thanks.

Postby sraymond » Fri May 16, 2003 8:02 am

Most motherboards of late support Wake-from-Suspend via USB. With such systems, the USB-UIRT can be programmed (via the Girder plugin) to respond to up to four different remote buttons to initiate a wakeup. This will then work even if Girder is not running (independent of any SW that uses the USB-UIRT).

I have an Albatron PX845GEV motherboard... it has an option that allows USB KB wake-up from S3, but nothing specific about USB in general. In Windows XP Pro (SP1), I have an option on my mouse that let's it bring the computer out of standby (and it works) - but there's no such option under the USB-UIRT Device or USB Root Hub entries.

What do you mean by programming the USB-UIRT (via the Girder plugin) to initiate a wakeup? Am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks!

Scott-
sraymond

Postby jrhees » Fri May 16, 2003 4:38 pm

Scott,

Sorry this isn't a bit more intuitive. Here are the steps to make the USB-UIRT respond to/generate a wake-up event beased on a remote button:

1. Launch Girder
2. Either create a command and assign it as if you were going to have it transmit IR (or edit one you already have).
3. When you are at the USB-UIRT command screen (where the learn button is, etc.), press the 'Configuration' button in the top-right corner.
4. Pick the 'Remote Wake-Up' tab.
5. Choose a 'Program Slot' (all 4 will be blank on your unit)
6. Hit the 'Learn' button on this screen and press a remote button you want to wake up your PC.
7. Press the 'Program Flash' button.
8. Close out of these dialogs and you're donw!

The 4 'slots' contain codes that are programmed into non-volatile flash memory inside your USB-UIRT. They have nothing to do with Girder--you just have to use Girder to program them...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby sraymond » Fri May 16, 2003 9:05 pm

Jon,

Awesome. Thanks for the quick answer. I appreciated it!

Scott-
sraymond

Return to General-Discussion