Controlling two STB ?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Controlling two STB ?

Postby jphhughes » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:33 pm

jrhees

I am currently using your USB=UIRT but it looks like I will need to buy the currently model to get the zones capabilities. Before purchasing I need to get the following clarification.

I read the thread on "Using Multi-Zone Support on Newer USB-UIRT's " but sill have some questions. First let me tell you what I am trying to do and that is, control two STB for use with SageTV. I currently have one tuner card (Hauppauge 350)installed in my PC and plan to add a second Hauppauge 250 card. Each tuner will have its own STB so I can be recording and watching liveTV at the same time.
My question and what I am not seeing clearly is how the use of zones can control two of the same STB independently. How does the USB-UIRT know which STB to control when it receive a command from the remote? Any clarification on this would be appreciated.
Regards
jphhughes

Postby jrhees » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:47 pm

To make this work in Sage, what is done is you must create TWO .IR profiles. This is most easily done by copying the IR file you already are using and rename it (and also change the name located inside the file). Edits must also be made to this (and the original file) to put in zone specifiers on each IR code. At this point, when you set up your second STB in sage, you will specify the newly-created IR file as the name of the IR setup for the second STB.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby jphhughes » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:01 pm

Jon
Thanks for the additonal information. On a related issue, I will need to order a newer USB-UIRT as the one I have is not zone capable. I recall an issue of 56K capability which although I worked around it seemed to provide greater coverage of remotes that could be used. So should I order the 56K capable UIRT? Thanks.
jphhughes

Postby jrhees » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:06 pm

This really depends on whether you want to control your PC with a 56-KHz remote. There is no definitive list of 56KHz remotes. The notable offenders are Dish Network/Bell EVU (Echostar) and Scientific Atlanta.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Sam » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:53 pm

jrhees wrote:This really depends on whether you want to control your PC with a 56-KHz remote. There is no definitive list of 56KHz remotes. The notable offenders are Dish Network/Bell EVU (Echostar) and Scientific Atlanta.

-Jon

Hi Jon,

Please help clarify... so if I have the Motorolla DTC2200 STB, do I need to order the one with 56-KHz? Thanks inadvance. Awaiting to order one.
Sam

Postby jrhees » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:42 pm

Do you want to use your existing Mot. remote to navigate your PC (navigate the PVR app, etc.), OR

Do you simply need the USB-UIRT to control your Mot cable box?

If only the latter (or if you're going to navigate your PC/PVR app with a universal remote), you will not need the add'l 56KHz sensor.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:03 pm

jrhees wrote:Do you want to use your existing Mot. remote to navigate your PC (navigate the PVR app, etc.), OR

Do you simply need the USB-UIRT to control your Mot cable box?

If only the latter (or if you're going to navigate your PC/PVR app with a universal remote), you will not need the add'l 56KHz sensor.

-Jon

Thanks for the quick reply, Jon. I will be using the Firefly remote with BTV3 to control the Mot. cable box. ( I've also read somewhere that stated there are sometimes hit/miss when changing channel with Mot. box and USB-UIRT, is this true? ). Is it possible to also use the Mot. box remote along with the Firefly remote if I buy the one with 56KHz sensor? Thanks in advance.

Postby jrhees » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:37 pm

From the setup you describe, you will only be making use of the USB-UIRT's *transmit* functionality (which will be used by BTV to change the channels on your Mot box.), like this:

Firefly Remote ---> Firefly Receiver --> PC (BTV App) --> USB-UIRT --> Control Mot. Box

I am not aware of issues in tuning Mot. boxes. If you run into any, let me know and we'll work them out!

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:31 am

jrhees wrote:From the setup you describe, you will only be making use of the USB-UIRT's *transmit* functionality (which will be used by BTV to change the channels on your Mot box.), like this:

Firefly Remote ---> Firefly Receiver --> PC (BTV App) --> USB-UIRT --> Control Mot. Box

I am not aware of issues in tuning Mot. boxes. If you run into any, let me know and we'll work them out!

-Jon

Thanks again Jon, are this in stock (w/56KHz)? How soon can it ship?

Postby jrhees » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:16 pm

Yes, both models are in stock. I usually ship in 2-3 days from order.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:14 am

jrhees wrote:Yes, both models are in stock. I usually ship in 2-3 days from order.

-Jon

Thanks again Jon, just ordered one.

Return to General-Discussion