Any experience with a plasma TV?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Any experience with a plasma TV?

Postby yaccri » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:01 pm

- Can the USB-UIRT function with a plasma TV around?
- Where's the best place to put the USB-UIRT? Near of far from the plasma TV?
- Does the plasma TV "screen" the other IR equipment and block IR reception of IR devices (like DVD, VCR and receiver)?

I'll be happy to learn from your experience.

Thanks,
Yoram.
yaccri

Postby jrhees » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:47 pm

Yoram,

This is indeed a good question! I wish I personally had a plasma to test with! :)

I have heard that Plasma's *could* give IR problems, but I've never heard of confirmation of this. *IF* the plasma is emitting a lot of non-visible light at some frequency, it may cause reduced sensitivity of any IR receiver. In this case, keeping the IR receiver out of line-of-sight of the plasma screen would be of primary concern. I would also guess that not all plasmas are equal either.

I would like to hear if this has been/is an issue with anyone???

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby yaccri » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:05 pm

I also don't have a plasma :oops: , so I can't test it at home. However, I believe I may be able to test it somewhere.

I will try to do a test, but it would take some time. I suppose that if the plasma emits lots of signals that interfere with the other equipment, putting extra transmitters very close to the that equipment will do the job.

Yoram
yaccri

Postby kevpriest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:49 pm

Before I recently moved I had my USB-UIRT sitting on an entertainment center about 18" below the plasma, probably about 6" in front. I had no issues with interference from the plasma and the USB-UIRT.

Recently I attempted to use one of those wireless IR repeaters to accomodate my new setup where the HTPC and plasma are in different rooms. There was a tremendous amount of IR noise generated by the wireless repeater, which completely disabled the USB-UIRT (and all of my other equipment's IR receivers). This MIGHT have been related to the plasma, but I actually suspect it was more RF interference being converted to IR than actual IR noise from the plasma.
kevpriest

Plasma / IR noise

Postby buzz » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:49 pm

I have just bought a usbuirt and have noticed that when i have a browser window open on my plasma screen the red led on the usbuirt goes crazy. I can slowly reduce the browser window to about 50% screen size and the led stops blinking. The usbuirt is about 5 feet from the plasma and on the same wall, so I guess it is picking up reflections off the opposing wall.

This answers a problem i have been having with the cable tv stb that actually gets triggered by phantom events during use (very annoying).

During typing this message my internal hall lights (10 feet away) that are IR switced have just turned on for no reason.

I guess this display is pumping out alot of junk into the room and I dont mean sky tv.
buzz

Postby jrhees » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:05 pm

...gotta love plasma!

There are probably some colors that are worse than others radiating from the plasma. I'm not sure what can be does other than trying to limit and control reflections...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion