Remote emitter

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Remote emitter

Postby grimcomp » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:42 am

I would like to use the remote emitter socket on the back of the usbuirt, is there a schematic and part list available. I wouldn't like to plug anything into it without knowing what load it can handle.

Thanks. :?
grimcomp

Postby jrhees » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:15 pm

The output on the back of the USB-UIRT is a simple emitter output designed to be wired directly to either one or two (in series) IRLED's. The USB-UIRT has an internal 82-ohm current limiting resistor and transistor driver for each channel of output (L and R channels of the stereo jack). Either a stereo or mono 1/8" plug can be attached to the USB-UIRT. Simply wire the barrell of the plug (which is Ground) to the Cathode and the Tip to Anode.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Remote Emitter

Postby grimcomp » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:33 am

Thanks Jon

I have a couple of I/R leds on hand so I will give it a go.

Peter. :)
grimcomp

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:24 pm

how many times can this be split while maintining enough power to individual emitters? Would say, 6 be too many? IE: 3 emitters per channel? A stereo->mono convert, then two channel splits?

Postby jrhees » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:06 am

The max emitters you can put in SERIES is only two. So, for four emitters you could put two each in series on each L and R channel. You *could* put additional emitters in parallel but output may be very low and the emitters need to be the same part number (matched). Experimentation would be in order here...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Crashless » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:16 pm

Do you have any suggestions for emitters? I've been able to find some online, but I haven't seen any that allow easy wiring in series. I can't find ANY in retail stores, but I'm not surprised by this.
Crashless

Postby jrhees » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:57 pm

If you want to wire your own emitters, you can buy simple IR LED's at Radio Shack, etc. Otherwise, you can buy 'dual' emitters from places like hometech.com

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Crashless » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:57 pm

Thanks for the link. One silly noob question - should I get a visible or invisible emitter? Or is the difference negligible.

I can't tell wether this means you get visual red blinking when it is working, or if it actually works with different wavelengths, or if it makes no difference and I'm worrying about nothing.

If it doesn't matter, which do you use?

Thanks so much,
Crashless

Postby jrhees » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:37 pm

A visible emitter simply means either:

1) The emitter has an additional red LED you can see to get a visual indication of when something is being emitted, or

2) The normal IR LED is *replaced* by a red LED which *both* gives you a visual indication *and* controls the equipment (this works because there's enough sensitivity to near-IR (which red is) on most IR receivers at very close (stick-on) range.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Crashless » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:41 pm

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

PS. why doesn't this board remember me? I have to log in each time I restart my browser...
Crashless

Postby Bruce L » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:15 pm

I want to use an amplified remote emitter like this one. Any reason this won't work? Scroll down to tip #7
http://www.hometoys.com/tips/tips20.htm
Bruce L

Postby jrhees » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:05 pm

This circuit will work with the USB-UIRt just fine. To be safe, you may want to add an additional pseudo-load by having a 10K resistor between tip and ring.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion