56KHz

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

56KHz

Postby MurrayW » Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:11 am

What does the 56KHz option give you that the standard USB-UIRT doesn't offer?

thanks,

MurrayW
MurrayW

Re: 56KHz

Postby jrhees » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:54 am

MurrayW wrote:What does the 56KHz option give you that the standard USB-UIRT doesn't offer?

thanks,

MurrayW

Good question! (BTW - these are being compiled into a FAQ):

While the USB-UIRT can *transmit* at a wide frequency range, it by default can only *receive* frequencies from about 34KHz to 42KHz. Most remotes operate in the 36-40HKz range. There are a few, however, which operate in the 56KHz range. One, for example is the remote use for the Echostar (Dish Network) Satellite Tuners. Therefore, if you suspect you have a remote which operates in the 56KHz frequency and you want the USB-UIRT to be able to 'see' that remote, you'd want to add the 56KHz option. Adding this option means I install a *second* IR receiver in the case which is tuned to 56KHz.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

This sends out IR commands as well???

Postby djdafreund » Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:58 am

I have a IRMan and love it. I want to be able to control my TV, DVD, Receiver, Cable Box. This would do it, right? Also, would i not even need my IRMan if this receives as well, or does this work in addition to my IRMan as a Transmitter? I'm about to buy one and want to make sure it AT LEAST can be used as a transmitter to send out remote commands to my audio/video components.
djdafreund

Re: This sends out IR commands as well???

Postby jrhees » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:13 pm

djdafreund wrote:I have a IRMan and love it. I want to be able to control my TV, DVD, Receiver, Cable Box. This would do it, right? Also, would i not even need my IRMan if this receives as well, or does this work in addition to my IRMan as a Transmitter? I'm about to buy one and want to make sure it AT LEAST can be used as a transmitter to send out remote commands to my audio/video components.

djdafreund,

Are you using your Irman with Girder? The USB-UIRT has all of the capabilities of Irman along with the additional ability to 'Learn' and TRANSMIT.

You should see equivalent receive range with the USB-UIRT. In addition, the USB-UIRT can be fitted with a 56KHz receiver which will allow it to receive 56KHz remotes that even Irman won't see.

The reason I ask about Girder is the fact that the software you use *does* matter. Currently, there is a Girder plugin available for USB-UIRT. If you're using other software, a plugin/driver would need to be developed for it.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:58 pm

I hope this isn't a daft question.

Can this unit be fitted internally? I am thinking of getting an Atech Heatsink Case (which has provision for an internal IRman) for my HTPC, but would prefer an internal USB unit connected directly to the m/b.

(1) Would it work?

(2) If so, and the transmitter needs line of sight to address peripherals, could a 2nd external unit be installed for this purpose?
mephistopheles

Return to General-Discussion