Command line support for use in batch files?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Command line support for use in batch files?

Postby zoomkat » Wed May 05, 2004 7:40 pm

Does the usb-uirt have any playback control via a command line? I run things on my webcam setup using batch files, and being able to control the usb-uirt via the command line would be a nice feature. This would be only for playback of the desired ir code. I've done this on win98 using the DIY CIR gizmo, but XP doesn't uspport this. I currently use a modified IR remote to change the tv channel on my test page below (ch^). Just looking for command line options to use with my webcam setup. Thanks!

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
zoomkat

Postby jrhees » Wed May 05, 2004 8:26 pm

zoomkat,

It would be a <15 minute effort to craft up an app that would do this (based on the sample API code). If you know 'C' or VB, you're ready to go. If not, I can probably put something together for you.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby zoomkat » Thu May 06, 2004 10:04 pm

Jon, I'm pretty much clueless on the VB and C programming. What would work well would be a small tight application that would open, have the UIRT send an ir signal, then close. Something like below in a batch file where the satellite dish is switched to, channel 191 is selected, then the vcr is selected and told to record. I use a little program made in assembly to control the pins on the parallel port in a batch file like below and it works quite well. This would make for easy control of the uirt via the web using a webseerver and the batch file as a cgi application. A task scheduler could also run the batch files when desired.

@echo off
cmduirt.exe satellite
cmduirt.exe 1
cmduirt.exe 9
cmduirt.exe 1
cmduirt.exe vcr
cmduirt.exe record
cls
zoomkat

Postby zoomkat » Fri May 07, 2004 3:42 pm

Just as a followup question, is there stand alone software for the uirt that records and plays back the ir codes (at a minimum for testing purposes)? Just looking at the site, it appears that the uirt may only be supported via pulgins in other applications. Thanks!
zoomkat

Postby hjackson » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:20 am

bump
This is an important feature, that I am shocked to see may have been left out! If anyone knows of a command line app to run the USB-UIRT in programs that don't have a plugin for it, as well as a separate app to record and test captured IR signals, please post them!
Thanks in advance

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:15 am

You mean outside of girder?
"... if all my possessions were taken from me with one exception, I would choose to keep the power of communication, for by it I would soon regain all the rest."

Daniel Webster
Treetop

Postby hjackson » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:49 am

Yes, outside of Girder. I would like to be able to write a simple batch file like I can for my Slinke to execute an IR command.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby Chris_C » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:54 am

Has anything come of this? Would be very useful!! Jon, never done C++ or VC, but have a sound understanding on C, any use?
Chris_C

Postby jrhees » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:14 pm

Chris,

Yes I have written a command line app. Please email me at support@usbuirt.com to request it.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby zoomkat » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm

The development of a command line playback application sounds like a good deal. Can the command line application also be used to record the IR signal from a remote? If not, does the usb-uirt now come with a gui for recording and playback of the codes independent of other third party ($$$) software?
zoomkat

Postby jrhees » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:20 pm

The command line app can play back Pronto-style codes. So, you can either use codes already available on the 'net, or use a simple 'learn helper' app you can request from the support email as well.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby zoomkat » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:16 pm

Thanks for the info. If the learn helper application can record the the IR and the command line application can play it back, then stand alone setups should be possible. A friend has an active home setup using the CM11A computer interface with motion detectors. I'm looking into having a way to have a computer start/stop a regular VCR (really cheap now at WalMart) via IR to record a video in areas where motion is detected. When motion is detected, the computer should be able to run a batch file that executes the command line application to control the VCR. Not high tech, but potentially inexpensive and useful.
zoomkat

Postby jrhees » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:57 am

That should be easy to accomplish...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:24 am

Jon, thank you very much for the commandline app, unfortunately, with what you sent me (the app and sample code), I do not have enough information to make it work. I set up some test Pronto codes, as in your sample (ie: on 0000 0101 1001 etc), but when I saved and ran it as a batch file (ie. on.bat) it did not work. Can you give a bit more info on how it's supposed to work?
As well, are you planning on posting the app on the web site?

hjackson

Postby jrhees » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:56 pm

If you're using a separate file which contains all of the codes (line the samplecodes.txt file) then you would give each code a unique name.

So, say your pronto code for ON is 0000 0001 0002 0003, you would have a line in the samplecodes.txt file like this:

ON 0000 0001 0002 0003

And you would invoke this by typing at the command line:

uutx -fsamplecodes.txt ON

ALTERNATIVELY,

if you *don't* want to use a separate codefile, you can invoke the uutx program with your prontocode directly. In this case, you MUST remember to put your Pronto code within QUOTES, as follows:

uutx "0000 0001 0002 0003"

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Next

Return to General-Discussion