USB-UIRt and S3 Standby problem

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRt and S3 Standby problem

Postby jphhughes » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:37 pm

I have been using the USB-UIRT for some time now on an HP machine with SageTV and a Hauppauge 250. I just built a new dedicated PC for the PVR function and moved both he UIRT and SageTV to it. I also changes the Hauppauge to the 350. On the HP machine I had been using the S3 Standby state with no problem. Now on the new system (Intel 865PERL motherboard P4 2.8Ghz, WIN XP) I am getting a driver error saying that the ir device will not let the system go into standby. I have the BIOS set for S3. Any suggestions on a fix or workaround? Thanks
jphhughes

Postby jrhees » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:24 pm

Two possible solutions:

1. If you don't need wake-up via the USB-UIRT, you can turn off this functionality (use the Girder plugin to do this),

2. Windows XP disables Bios-wake-up from S3 by default. You can try re-enabling it by doing a registry addition. See the http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=92&start=2 thread.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:10 pm

jrhees

Thanks for the reply. I have been unable to get back to solving this issue until now. So I have some questions.

When you say use the Girder plugin to turn off "wake-up via the USB-UIRT". Does this mean that girder needs to be running or do I just use it to reset this functionality?

As I stated in my post above everything was working on the HP machine just fine. The HP machine and the new machine are both running winXP . Also prior to installing the USB-UIRT on the new machine the Standby mode worked just fine. everything turned off. I have other USB devices connected to this machine that do not cause this problem. I believe I was using an older version of the USB driver on the HP machine that seemed to work. Can I just continure to use them, assuming they would work? Thanks

Postby jphhughes » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:04 pm

The above "Guest" is me I just forgot to log in. sorry.
jphhughes

Postby jrhees » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:11 pm

When you say use the Girder plugin to turn off "wake-up via the USB-UIRT". Does this mean that girder needs to be running or do I just use it to reset this functionality?

You just need Girder to access the switch setting (which is then stored in the USB-UIRT's nonvolatile flash memory).

You can use older drivers if they'll work for you, but its my guess that its not the driver version but rather a power-management issue that's causing this.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby jphhughes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:48 pm

jrhees

I managed to find the setting you referred to and it did fix the problem. Thanks for your help.
jphhughes

Postby araghava » Wed May 05, 2004 6:18 am

i'm having a similar problem. after i installed usb-uirt, my fan never goes off when the system goes into standby. the monitor shuts down and i assume the hard drive shuts down but i can still hear the fan. before usb-uirt, the system used to become totally silent.

1. will the above registry hack make the system fully go into standby.
2. will usb-uirt be able to wake up the system from that state.
araghava

Postby jrhees » Wed May 05, 2004 12:43 pm

"will the above registry hack make the system fully go into standby."

-- The registry change, in conjunction with changing settings in your Bios if needed to enable USB Wake from S3, should allow your computer to go back to S3 (fans off)

"will usb-uirt be able to wake up the system from that state"

-- This really depends on the MB & Bios.

The reason your PC's behavior changed when you added the USB-UIRT is that the USB-UIRT is requesting wake-up privileges from the OS. Because of that, the OS puts the system into a standby state if thinks can still support wake-up.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby araghava » Thu May 06, 2004 6:16 am

With the registry hack the usb-uirt is able to wake up the pc but i get the following error message on wakeup

"Unable to connect to USB-UIRT device. Please ensure device is connected to computer".

i need to disable and reenable input devices in girder to get things working again. any workaround for this problem.
araghava

Postby jrhees » Thu May 06, 2004 10:07 pm

Hmm, that's strange. another user saw a similar problem. Please try this experiment:

1. Start up Girder, USB-UIRT, etc.
2. Press F9 in Girder to Disable Plugins
3. Suspend the machine.
4. Wake the machine back up
5. Press F9 in Girder to re-enable plugins.
6. See if the USB-UIRT is working.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby araghava » Fri May 07, 2004 6:58 am

yes, on disabling devices before suspend and reenabling after startup the problem does not show.

However i finally fixed the problem by checking the box for
"Restart driver on resume from standby" in the settings for the plugin on the plugin page. shouldn't this be the default.
araghava

Postby jrhees » Fri May 07, 2004 3:43 pm

Strangely enough, this setting is not necessary on most systems. In addition, the Girder plugin should be doing the equivalent of what I had you do in the experiment anyway (i.e., disabling the USB-UIRT *plugin* during a power suspend). I wonder if it is a timing issue...?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby araghava » Fri May 07, 2004 6:16 pm

it sounds like one of 2 things.
1. girder is not reenabling the plugin on resume or
2. girder tries to connect to plugin before the plugin finishes reinitializing.

i'm not sure how this setting fixes the problem but it does :-)
araghava

Return to General-Discussion