Using Multi-Zone Support on Newer USB-UIRT's

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Postby noodleNT » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:31 am

Channels did change with Z3. Maybe my wiring is reversed... but then I shouldn't see the Led flash right?
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:50 am

I was also getting some script errors once in awhile when BeyondTV started with the modified IR config. I am not sure if it was BeyondTV's fault or some spyware that just hijacked my computer. I will give you some more details on this later once Ad-Aware cleans everything out.
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:43 am

Is this correct wiring?

The wires with the white stripe go to Ring and Tip connectors, while the solid black wires go to the Ground (shell)?

Graphic
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:13 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now I get an error code: ID10T

Grabbed a flashlight and it turns out the IR reciever on my box isn't located where the Remote lable is. Using a flashlight I was able to locate the IR reciever through the dark plastic. Put the IR emitter there and everthing worked like a charm! :D
noodleNT

Postby jrhees » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:22 pm

Been there done that :)

FWIW, 'visible' emitters like the ones you're using usually fon't even have an IR led in them. Instead they take advantage of the fact that a RED led is close enough to IR wavelength to work in most cases. This further reduces the effective power output of these style emitters. But, since they're stick-on style its OK *as long as* you get very near the equipment's IR sensor. A flashlight is a great idea BTW.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby boblecingle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:46 pm

I just found by chance that new drivers for Girder and Windows were available. That's a pity that I had to go through the forum to know about it...

Wouldn't be a good idea to update your support page with new version when available?

Thanks.
boblecingle

Three more?

Postby ocarton » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:12 pm

Hi everybody,

Boy, this USB UIRT stuff is a neat piece of work!

Unfortunately, I guess some people are never satisfied. Now that it is possible to have three IR outputs, there I come with a need for six! :twisted:

I am trying to build a controller for a multiroom Daikin air conditionning system. I have five of those devices, each one with a remote control (and I also need to control an AV amplifier).

If I understand correctly, it is not possible to use two USB UIRT at the same time with Girder. So my needs would be to extend the number of outputs of a USB UIRT from three to six.

There are my questions :
    1/would the girder driver accomodate for a higher number of emitters (ie use Z4xxx, Z5xxx and so on)?
    2/ are there spare pins on the microcontroller to add emitters? If so, I am willing to give a hand (using my limited knowledge :? ) to modify a library of the microchip's code to use those spare pins.
    3/ is it possible to solder the two wires of the emitter led directly to the wires of the receiver led of my appliances (thus avoiding transmission problems and an ugly emitter sticked on my appliance)?
Thanks for your answers.
ocarton

Multiple UIRT

Postby ocarton » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:33 pm

Since my previous post, I found something on the forum about using several USB UIRT on one Girder. It was under beta development. Anyone knows more about this? Have tests been done?

It would answer my problem 2/.

1/ and 3/ still hold though.
ocarton

Re: Three more?

Postby jrhees » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:22 pm

ocarton wrote:1/would the girder driver accomodate for a higher number of emitters (ie use Z4xxx, Z5xxx and so on)?

No, but there is a second Girder Plugin (call it plugin #2) which can be used along with the regular plugin to drive two USB-UIRT's. When creating a command in Girder, you would then choose one of the two plugins depending on which USB-UIRT you want to transmit. See: http://65.36.202.170/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=52&start=28

ocarton wrote:2/ are there spare pins on the microcontroller to add emitters? If so, I am willing to give a hand (using my limited knowledge :? ) to modify a library of the microchip's code to use those spare pins.

No, unfortunately the USB-UIRT is more or less maxed out.

ocarton wrote:3/ is it possible to solder the two wires of the emitter led directly to the wires of the receiver led of my appliances (thus avoiding transmission problems and an ugly emitter sticked on my appliance)?

No and Yes. The IR receivers on most all equipment are usually an integrated IC which demodulates the carrier and has an open-collector output. The USB-UIRT in this case would need to be set to DC output (no carrier) in Girder. Also, you would need to build a transistor circuit to create a low-going open collector output from the IR jack (which drivers high). Third, I would be concerned about the possible implications of tying the DC ground from your USB-UIRT (which is derived from your PC's ground) to your A/C units.

-Jon
[/list]
Thanks for your answers.[/quote]
jrhees
Site Admin

Fine

Postby ocarton » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:00 pm

Hi Jon,

It seems you really master the IR systems. 8)

If I sum up, the best way to go is :
- two USB UIRT
- two Girder plugins

Then, let me check if I can make Girder work with a software of mine. If so, you'll soon get an order for 2 USB UIRT. :)

By th way, thanks for your quick response.
ocarton

Postby jrhees » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:00 pm

Alternatively you can interface with the USB-UIRT API directly if you're writing your own software. If this is the case you may find this easier than Girder.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby noodleNT » Sat May 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Jon,

I had a drive fail on me last night. I have everything back up and running. I Downloaded the lasting drivers and Firmware from your website. Flashed the device and installed the drivers. Finally replacing the API in the windows\system32 folder. When I launch BeyondTV now it wont change channels. It worked before I did the API and Firmware update. I had the IR file backed up so I just replaced it with the one BeyondTV created durring the install.
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Sat May 15, 2004 9:31 pm

Was I not supposed to flash the firmware it was version 5.4? I am trying to go back to the old drivers with no luck. Went through the BTV setup wizard again and it would not change any of the channels.
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Sat May 15, 2004 9:48 pm

Damn! Freaking out here! Need to head out to for a dinner and was hoping to get this working. Unistalled and reinstalled BTV, It still wont use the IR device. Now it stays dark. :shock: Help :shock:
noodleNT

Postby noodleNT » Mon May 17, 2004 1:21 am

NM... found the more recent firmware.
I had to search through the forums untill I found it. Is it possible to make a downloads section or something to keep all this stuff organized?
noodleNT

PreviousNext

Return to General-Discussion