Help with IR Blaster

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Help with IR Blaster

Postby ldavis » Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:03 am

jrhees,

First of all, thanks for all your work on this project. With the exception of a few minor problems, everything is working great!!. Really the only problem has been with the remote that came with my DTC-100. I do have the 56K receiver on my UIRT but (based on the codes from ProntoEdit) this remote has a frequency of 57.5K. This has really not been a problem since importing the codes directly works fine. I have finally been able to put together a working remote system that relies only on a cheap one device non- learning remote and can operate a fairly complex system very intuitively. I have finally been able to put away the Pronto. While the Pronto is certainly the most flexible remote for the budget minded HT owner and my current setup will not offer all the commands that Pronto does, the Pronto does have certain "problems". First, one-handed operation is very difficult and second it is not very two-year old friendly. I'll still keep the Pronto in my equipment closet for doing more complex setup operations but for day to day, my current setup works best.

The last thing that I need to work out is operation of my IR light dimmer. Since that is not in my equipment closet, it does not see the USB-UIRT emitters. One possible solution is to wire a stick-on emitter from the 1/8" jack but I suspect that a stick on emitter on a light switch would not stay stuck on for very long due to constant handling. The other solution that I see is a wired IR Blaster. I noticed at www.smarthome.com/8174.html that they have a SmartLinc IR Blaster wired to a 1/8" jack. I couldn't find the technical specs but do you have any idea if this (or a similar product) will work with the USB-UIRT. Thanks in advance for your help

Lain
ldavis

Postby vxl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:50 pm

propably will... I made my own blaster with 4 leds. one for each machine, and it worked just fine... just connect IR-leds anode(long wire) at the tip of the 1/8 jack... or connect multiple in the sameway.
vxl

Return to General-Discussion