Different Girder event strings than other receivers, why?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Different Girder event strings than other receivers, why?

Postby chrisf16 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:03 pm

I just received my usb-uirt and installed it on my HTPC. I had previously done quite a bit of Girder programming using the IR receiver that came with my MIT myHD tuner card. I've had a Pronto for many years and of course, it's loaded with macros and discreet codes for my a/v gear. I was hoping to replace the myHD IR receiver completely with my usb-uirt.

However, when I disable the myHD IR receiver and let the usb-uirt do the receiving, Girder is getting completely different event strings from the usb-uirt. I know the little hex code that Girder displays doesn't represent the entire IR data, but why is it that the same IR signals don't map to the same IR event strings in Girder? This may be a question for the Girder forum, but I thought you might have a quick answer for me.

Is there a simple way (i.e. not by re-learning every single IR command again with the usb-uirt in separate event strings) to convert to the usb-uirt and keep my current girder macros?
chrisf16

Postby jrhees » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:29 am

Chris,

You're right -- the 12-digit hex code does *not* represent all of the IR data -- it is instead generated by an algorithm designed to allow any incoming IR protocol to generate a unique number. Since the USB-UIRT uses a different algorithm than the MyHD receiver, you'll simply get different codes. There's no standard for how this number is generated, unfortunately.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion