controlling identical devices individually

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

controlling identical devices individually

Postby cubesys » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:51 am

I have a problem. I need to control individually 4 different satelite receivers, which are the same model. Does anyone have any idea how to accomplish this. I realize that if I just point the usbuirt at the devices, they will all be getting the same signal.

I am open to any suggestions.

thanks
Itai
cubesys

Postby jrhees » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:14 am

Itai,

There are two ways you can do this with the USB-UIRT.

1) Use multiple USB-UIRT's connected to the same PC. This is fairly expensive and you have to 'shield' the emitters on the USB-UIRT'sfrom hitting the other boxes -- and possibly use stick-on emitters connected to each USB-UIRT.

2) The current revision of the USB-UIRT can theroetically support up to 3 'zones' (although this is not yet advertised). The zones are the 1)front emitters, 2) IR emitter jack L channel, and 3) IR emitter jack R channel. The software is not yet in place to support this feature, but will be shortly.

-Jon

Note: I believe some satellite receivers can have their IR codeset changed...
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby MannyTC » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:11 pm

I will need to be able to control 2 identical Scientific Atlanta STBes so I am very interested in your upcoming support for individual "zones". Please keep us up to date on this progress.
MannyTC

ChannelVision DUAL VISIBLE emitter

Postby noodleNT » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:34 am

So do these dual emitters, like the ChannelVision DUAL VISIBLE emitter, work on the left and right channels (zone 2 and zone 3)? So one emitter is on 'zone 2' an the other is on 'zone 3'?
noodleNT

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:28 pm

No, they don't.

Currently I do not know of any commercially-available 'stereo-jacked' emitters. All of the dual's I have seen are still wired to a mono plug. What's worse -- most of them use a two-conductor cable from the jack to the emitters so you can't just rewire then :(

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby noodleNT » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:40 pm

So purchasing 2 single emitters and a mini stereo plug (like from RadioShack), then wire them up on the left and right channels should do the trick, right?
noodleNT

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:31 pm

Yes, you can purchase either two single or two dual (if you neede them, I guess) emitters and do just that...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:50 pm

Would this work to seperate the channels into left and right channels?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-375

It states that it will seperate channels, but no mention about splitting stereo into left and right, so Im not certain.

Treetop
Treetop

Postby jrhees » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:48 pm

According to the verbage it appears it would do the trick.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby noodleNT » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:33 am

now that we have the hardware worked out.... when will we see the software for this feature? :P
noodleNT

Zones in SS 3.5

Postby rpm » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:01 pm

Any update on the software? How exactly do you plan on switching zones. Have you talked to SnapStream to see if you guys could figure out something that will work well with them? I would hate to see Zoned software that still won't work for SS 3.5 (and I think a lot of other USB-UIRT users feel the same way).
rpm

Postby Treetop » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:32 pm

I'm not answering for Jon. Just giving my thoughts on this.

How exactly do you plan on switching zones

There is no switiching between zones. Say, for example, that it is set-up like this:

Zone 1 - Front blaster
Zone 2 - Left channel (split from stereo external emitter jack)
Zone 3 - right channel

So if you have an emitter on the left channel, it will always be Zone 2 and will always be active. So sending a IR command to zone 2 will always go to the STB hooked up to the left channel.

Have you talked to SnapStream to see if you guys could figure out something that will work well with them? I would hate to see Zoned software that still won't work for SS 3.5 (and I think a lot of other USB-UIRT users feel the same way).

I don't think this is something that you will have to worry about. BTV3.5 isn't even in public beta yet. Also, Jon's product is supported by other software packages as well. It is not Jon's responsibility to make sure that it will work with other software, but he does try to make it as easy as possible.... he even has a developers forum here. BTV3.5 will support an API, for people to create there own plug-ins. So even if BTV doesn't include upgraded support for this device, I guarantee that someone will come up with it.

I, for one, am very excited about this software upgrade to the USB_UIRT, when and if it ever becomes public. Zoned IR devices, such as the Ocelot and GlobalCache, are very expensive and developed for the more advanced Home Automation and Security crowd, rather than just supporting a few cable boxes. If this software upgrade does come to fruition, I think Jon will have to employ a few more people to help him, as he should see an influx of people wanting his product. $50 for this device, as is, is a great deal....and zoned IR (even if it is only 3 zones), and you have product that can be marketed, not only to the HTPC crowd, but those into HA as well. While this will upgrade will not replace the other products mentioned above, it will definetly be a product for newbies, and the not rich.

At this time, it comes down to a game of patience. Patience for BTV3.5 to go Gold (months away maybe) and patience for Jon to work on his software. They say it is a virtue... I say, whipping a donkey to make it move, wont turn it into a Thoroughbred.

As I stated in the beginning, these are just my thoughts, so I may be way off target. I certainly dont want to step on Jon's toes, so please correct me if I stated something totally useless or incorrect.

Treetop
Treetop

Postby jrhees » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:55 pm

jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Treetop » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:45 pm

:D :shock: :D :P :) :lol: :D :D :D

WOW....

That happened a lot quicker than expected. Thanks Jon. I can't say enough good things about your product or your support.

Treetop
Treetop

Postby noodleNT » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:58 pm

SWEEET!

I will try it out tonight. I already have my quad IR emiter wired up to a stereo plug. 2 Dual emiters (4 total) should give me enough for all my equipment.
noodleNT

Next

Return to General-Discussion