Control All av with one uirt? Question before purchase

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Control All av with one uirt? Question before purchase

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:54 pm

I have all of my a/v equipment (+htpc) in a standard shelved TV stand with a glass door.

I assume I will have a problem using one usb-uirt device to control all of the equipement through girder+htpc since it sends ir in the same direction that it receives a signal.

Am I assuming correctly? If so what are my options, an ir emiter attached to the back of the irt?

Or is there some way to position the uirt to receive signals from my remote (from couch facing tv stand) and send to equipment?

This would seem like a common issue...

Thanks much

Postby jrhees » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:37 pm

Many people have found that the USB-UIRT's 'blasting' emitters are powerful enough to control their equipment even though the unit is facing the other direction. The emitters are very strong, and will bounce off surfaces such as glass, walls, etc.

YMMV, but this is often the case. Otherwise, you can hook up external emitters via the jack on the rear of the USB-UIRT.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:21 pm

Call me an IR noob, but if the signal bounces off glass, will having the irt behind a glass door be an issue? If so, what typically happens? I thought that IR can go through glass? Does it reflect and go though at the same time?

Postby jrhees » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:44 am

It does both, just like visible light. If you shine a flashlight on normal glass, you'll see the light pass thru *and* you see some reflected.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion