Xantech IR support?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Xantech IR support?

Postby slacker » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:58 am

Is there any plans to support an interface to Xantech IR network (3 wire or mini-jack) in a UIRT device? I currently have a Slink-e but that is an orphaned product and I would prefer a USB-based solution.

Thanks!
-james
slacker

Postby jrhees » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:50 pm

James,

The 1/8" jack on the back of the USB-UIRT is compatible with Xantech and other brands of IR STICK-ON EMITTERS. However, you need to be aware of the following limitations:

1. When using these IR emitters, you may want to avoid using the DUAL EMITTERS *WITH VISIBLE BLINKERS* (the dual emitters without the visible blinker are OK). The dual *visible* emitters may not work effectively, depending on how they are wired. If they use series wiring, the voltage drop over the four emitters (two visible, two IR) will be too large for effective operation. This is because the USB-UIRT is a 5V device, rather than a 12V device like the Xantech, etc.

The current-limiting resistors inside the USB-UIRT are tailored to single and dual emitters.

I *have* tested the Xantech 282M, 283M, 284M emitters and they all work fine.

I have also tested a ChannelVision DUAL VISIBLE emitter which I have verified does not use separate IR and RED leds. It also works fine.

I do not know if the Xantech 'visible' models do the same, or whether they have 2 LED's (one RED and one IR).

With that said, I cannot verify whether a cable could be directly connected between the USB-UIRT's 1/8" emitter jack and the Xantech distribution block products. I see no reason why it should not work, however, the Xantech is expecting a 12V signal, and depending on what circuitry they have inside it may or may not accept the 5V signalling.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:59 am

With that said, I cannot verify whether a cable could be directly connected between the USB-UIRT's 1/8" emitter jack and the Xantech distribution block products. I see no reason why it should not work, however, the Xantech is expecting a 12V signal, and depending on what circuitry they have inside it may or may not accept the 5V signalling.

If it didn't work just plugging it in directly, could you use something like this to create an "adapter" cable/box to plug into a distribution block?

1.0 WATT SINGLE OUTPUT DC-DC CONVERTER

Cheers!

Jeff

Postby jrhees » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:46 pm

You *could* and it *may* work, but even so its probably overkill.

Here's a much simpler approach:

1. If the Xantech is expecting positive signalling (which I would guess is the case):

http://65.36.202.170/xantech.jpg

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:17 pm

I've been reading a number of posts on this topic, and have not found one that definitively identifies success to multiple emitters.

This post lists tested emitters, but I presume that would be using one emitter off the back of the USB Uirt.

Is there now a known solution for hooking to a connection device, and sending to multiple emitters? Maybe 4-6?

I suspect Xanatec is most common, but keep reading about their device being 12v vs. 5v.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby ewingr » Mon May 10, 2004 3:20 pm

I am still waiting an answer on my this. I am ready to purchase something to send to 6 devices. I will do some more searching in this thread to see if there is an answer there.

BTW...I have an emitter laying around here, so I plugged it into the UIRT just to test, and it did not work. I don't know what device it even came with. That being said, is there something I need to configure for that to work? I didn't find anything apparent in the Girder configs.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

compatible emitter

Postby vhoang » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:27 am

Been using the emitter that comes from the RCA powermid box and it appears to be compatible when plugged into the usb-uirt unit. connected a generic 4ft extension cable and pulled into closet and still appears ok. Good enough to control all systems in my closet.

I left the powermid base in the closet with the emitter end and have a portable unit I can put into any location for IR devices not in my closet. Works great... Ideally I would like to split the output from the unit and hardwire a connection to every room but from the forums it sounds like I can't due to power limitiations.

any new news available for a decent (cheap) ir distribution blocks to relay the output to multiple sources? I'll be running new wire to every room soon and would like to integrate this. (I could buy a powermid extension unit for each room but that's ugly and rf can be disturbed by my microwave...)
vhoang

Return to General-Discussion