UIRT not working for me.

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

UIRT not working for me.

Postby jphhughes » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:48 am

I recently purchased your product USB UIRT as part of a package from FREY Technologies for use with SageTV. I posted my problem over at Frey Forum and received some helpful direction, but not a solution.

The basic problem is that in the Sage setup wizard Sage does not learn the commands from the remote. based on the feedback I got at the Frey Forums its seem the reason is that the remote I am using operates in the 56KHZ range and either Sage or the UIRT cannot recognize the signals. I tested this with the help of someone suggesting that i use girder to get the operating frequency ( forgive me if I am not using the proper terms )

I would appreciate it if you could set me streight as to the best solution to my problem. Thanks
jphhughes

Postby jrhees » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:36 am

jphhughes,

This should *not* be the case. Girder and Sage use the same USB-UIRT driver and functionality to get the job done. The USB-UIRT can *learn* (for retransmission) IR codes from 20 to 80KHz (to *control* -- navigate menus, etc. Sage with a 56KHz remote is another story -- it*will* require a 56KHz model).

But if you're merely trying to have Sage change the channels on your VCR or STB, the USB-UIRT (either model) can learn the signals. The USB-UIRT has a special short-range sensor to do this.

One difference between Sage and Girder is that Girder has a learning screen which gives more feedback during the learn process. In Sage we didn't do this, because the UI for Sage requires that all feedback fit into the Sage GUI -- which doesn't have these types of feedback for the user.

Did you try learning with Girder or are you simply thinking about doing so?

If you're not familiar with Girder, I can email you a simple 'test' program where you can try to learn your remote as well. And, another option (some prefer) is to simply find or ask for a .IR file for Sage which already has the codes for the STB they're trying to control.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:24 pm

:lol:
jrhees

Thank you for your prompt reply. My primary objective is to have UIRT change the channels on my cable box (Scientific Atlantic 4200) in sync with SageTV, so that the cable box show channel 25 and SageTV shows channel 25. Right now I can change the cable box with the standard remote but the channel does not change in Sage.

I was using Girder just to determine the carrier signal of the remote which show as 56KHz based on a suggestion by someone over at the FREY forum. I got the impression that if the remote carrier signal was in the 56KHz range their would be a problem learning codes. I fully understand and agree with your statement about Girder having a good deal more feedback then Sage. To answer your question directly I did try learning with GIrder but just to determine the carrier frequency. I had no problem with using GIrder.

In answer to your last suggestion I would prefer not to introduce and need to run another program like GIrder. I feel the development or copying of an IR file for the cable box would be best.

Finally the reason for using Sage and UIRT was as a replacement for my Microsoft MCE PVR. The nice part about that set up was the IR receiver and Ir emitter works well. This bring me to another point which is I probably should have ordered the UIRT with an emitter, is that still possible or would the emitter I have work with the UIRT. Thanks you again for your help .

ps I assume you can get my email address from the forum if not let me know.

Postby jphhughes » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:26 pm

:lol:
jrhees

Sorry for the second post.

Thank you for your prompt reply. My primary objective is to have UIRT change the channels on my cable box (Scientific Atlantic 4200) in sync with SageTV, so that the cable box show channel 25 and SageTV shows channel 25. Right now I can change the cable box with the standard remote but the channel does not change in Sage.

I was using Girder just to determine the carrier signal of the remote which show as 56KHz based on a suggestion by someone over at the FREY forum. I got the impression that if the remote carrier signal was in the 56KHz range their would be a problem learning codes. I fully understand and agree with your statement about Girder having a good deal more feedback then Sage. To answer your question directly I did try learning with GIrder but just to determine the carrier frequency. I had no problem with using GIrder.

In answer to your last suggestion I would prefer not to introduce and need to run another program like GIrder. I feel the development or copying of an IR file for the cable box would be best.

Finally the reason for using Sage and UIRT was as a replacement for my Microsoft MCE PVR. The nice part about that set up was the IR receiver and Ir emitter works well. This bring me to another point which is I probably should have ordered the UIRT with an emitter, is that still possible or would the emitter I have work with the UIRT. Thanks you again for your help .

ps I assume you can get my email address from the forum if not let me know.
jphhughes

Postby jrhees » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:07 pm

jphhughes,

I'd be interested in understanding problems you're having learning the buttons in Sage (especially if you've successfully learned them using Girder).

One thing to keep in mind is that in Sage there is currently a 10-second time-out, and if you don't complete the learn process in that amount of time (for a single button), it simply moves on.

In any case, I have emailed you a .IR file for the SciAtl 4200 box which you can give a try.

Best Regards,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion