USB-UIRT & Girder & Power On/Off

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT & Girder & Power On/Off

Postby MurrayW » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:30 am

I posted this on the AVS forum and got no response, so I'm hoping to find someone who has some suggestions or even an opnion.

These are the three main components that I am controlling through a USB-UIRT and Girder via my RCA DirecTV remote:

1. Mitsubishi MegaView 3725 monitor
2. RCA DTC100 STB
3. Harman Kardon AVR525 receiver

I know I could always get another remote or use the one that came with my HK-AVR525 (buttons are too small for my liking), but I have grown accustomed to my RCA remote and would like to keep using that.

My remote only has one power toggle button -- not a power On and power Off button. Of the 3 components listed above, only the HK-AVR525 has discrete power on and off codes (AFAIK). What I'd like to do is to program the Power button on my remote with the code to toggle the power on or off for my monitor and STB and power OFF my HK-AVR525.

Here's the part I have a question about. If I program my volume up button to increase the volume on the HK-AVR525 AND also power ON the HK-AVR525 can I cause any damage or premature wear to the HK-AVR525 by sending a power ON code to it (while it is already powered on) every time the volume is increased? There is no visual or audible indication that sending the power ON code to the receiver while it is already on is doing anything. And yes, I realize that I could use another button for the discrete on for the HK-AVR525, but I would like to keep it simple so that everyone else in the house can easily use it -- that's why I am thinking about the volume UP button. If you sit down to watch TV or a DVD and there is no volume, the first thing most people will do is try to increase the volume, which if the receiver was powered OFF would turn it on.

Thanks in advance.

Murray
MurrayW

Postby jrhees » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:59 pm

Murray,

Having designed the guts of a few AV receivers, etc., I would say 'no'. All commands from the receiver's 'eye' are routed to a microcontroller which handles all of the receiver's functionality. When it gets a power button code (like any other code), it decides whether or not to act on it depending on the current state of the system. When it gets a power ON command when power's already ON, it simply will throw it out.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby MurrayW » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:54 pm

Jon,

Thanks for the answer and the great support you give your USB-UIRT customers.

Murray
MurrayW

Return to General-Discussion