Delay in Receiving IR Commands

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Delay in Receiving IR Commands

Postby MurrayW » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:26 am

Jon,

Sorry to be bugging you so much. Is there a setting I can change to speed up the response time between button pushes on my remote?

For example, when I want to change my channel to 123 by entering each digit manually then pressing ENTER if I press the buttons at normal speed I usually end up with 13 -- it misses the 2 and ENTER commands. I have to purposely slow down my key presses in order for it to capture all of my entries. The same type of thing happens using the channel up or down and volume up or down button -- if I press the buttons too quickly I get no response.

Thanks for the great support you provide.

Murray
MurrayW

Postby jrhees » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:44 am

Murray,

I have never seen this issue. The USB-UIRT should respond immediately. Can you tell me what remote you're using?

Also, looking at the Status bar on Girder may be of some help. Each time you press a remote button, the Girder 'LED' should blink once or more, and you should see a 12-digit 'code' appear on Girder's status bar. You may want to watch this bar as it will clue us in on why we're missing the '2' and ENTER keys in your example.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby MurrayW » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:23 pm

Jon,

I am using the RCA DirectTV remote that came with my DTC-100. I also tried a RadioShack 6-in-1 remote and was getting the same delays. Finally I tried using the Mitsubishi remote that came with my MegaView monitor and it was much faster than the other two -- only problem is that this is a basic remote without all the buttons I would need to control everything.

When I watched the Girder status bar nothing showed up on it for the skipped commands. Using the original example I posted (1-2-3 Enter where only 1 and 3 were detected) I saw the code for the "1" then "3" but not the "2" or "Enter".

Do I need another universal remote? If so, do you or anyone else have any recommendations of remotes that work well?

thanks,

Murray
MurrayW

Postby jrhees » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:31 pm

MurrayW,

Have you tried other 'device codes' on your 6-in-1 remote? It may be an issue with the device protocol of the 'protocol' the remote is sending.

Also, to be sure, does this problem with missing codes change if you hold the buttons longer or shorter, ar at a closer distance from the USB-UIRT?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby MurrayW » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:03 am

I haven't tried it with the other device codes...I'll do that tomorrow.

One thing I did notice today is that the channel up and down worked almost instantaneously when I was about 20ft away in my kitchen instead of my normal viewing distance of about 10ft. It still missed the 2 and OK when I tried to press 1-2-3-OK rapidly.

I also noticed that if I pressed down hard on the buttons so that they became flat with respect to the remote body, that it captured all of the inputs on the 1-2-3-OK most of the time. I'm not sure if this has any significance beyond adding a slightly longer delay between button presses allowing them all to be captured.

Murray
MurrayW

Return to General-Discussion