is this amplified connecting block ok? its manual says no

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

is this amplified connecting block ok? its manual says no

Postby salsbst » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:00 pm

Will this ampliefied connecting block work?

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/8193.pdf

Near the top of the 3rd page in the manual reads, "CAUTION: Plug only Xantech IR Receivers equipped with a stereo mini plug into the IR RCVR jack. Do not plug in emitters or other devices. To do so will destroy emitters and damage power supplies!

Thanks!
salsbst

Postby jrhees » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:47 am

salsbst,

Without product schematics its impossible to be sure, but you could likely create a custom cable to work with this jack. HOWEVER, since we don't know the connections on this jack, the SAFER way to do this is to use the screw terminals.

You should be able to connect as follows:

USB-UIRT BLOCK
Tip <-----> INPUT
Ring
Sleeve <-----> GND

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:31 pm

Thanks, Jon.

Re: is this amplified connecting block ok? its manual says n

Postby racerchris » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:51 pm

salsbst wrote:Will this ampliefied connecting block work?

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/8193.pdf

Near the top of the 3rd page in the manual reads, "CAUTION: Plug only Xantech IR Receivers equipped with a stereo mini plug into the IR RCVR jack. Do not plug in emitters or other devices. To do so will destroy emitters and damage power supplies!

Thanks!

Did this work for you? Or anyone else for that matter. I need to connect the output of the USB-UIRT to my connecting block. I have the same warning on my Xantech
racerchris

Postby salsbst » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:56 am

racerchris wrote:Did this work for you? Or anyone else for that matter. I need to connect the output of the USB-UIRT to my connecting block. I have the same warning on my Xantech
It works unamplified using the screw terminals, but I actually haven't tried amplifying it.
salsbst

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:03 am

Salbst,

While this is not quite the same, I had a similar question and went ahead and hooked up a power supply to it (just an extra one I had lying around that had similar -- but not exact -- specifications). It has been working flawlessly for me now for 4 or 5 months.

Here's my original post.

http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114&highlight=

Good luck,

Murray

Postby racerchris » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:13 am

salsbst wrote:
racerchris wrote:Did this work for you? Or anyone else for that matter. I need to connect the output of the USB-UIRT to my connecting block. I have the same warning on my Xantech
It works unamplified using the screw terminals, but I actually haven't tried amplifying it.

Worked for me, unamplfied, connected direct to the IR IN and GRD input terminals! Easy as pie!
racerchris

Return to General-Discussion