56KHz IR Sensor

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

56KHz IR Sensor

Postby Eidolon » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:31 pm

I forgot to ask what the benefit is of having the optional 56k sensor added.

Regards,

Eidolon
Eidolon

Postby jrhees » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:47 pm

To best explain this, it is first best to understand that the USB-UIRT has basically 3 tasks:

1. TRANSMIT IR -- this task has no relevance the 56K IR sensor. ALL USB-UIRT models can transmit from DC (0 KHz) up to 64KHz.

2. LEARN IR -- this task is used when you are 'learning' an IR stream so that it can be re-transmitted later. The USB-UIRT uses a special short-range wide-band sensor for this -- so once again the 56KHz sensor has no relevance.

3. LISTEN TO IR -- this task is the default operation the USB-UIRT performs when no learning or transmitting. When the USB-UIRT 'sees' an IR code via one of its long-range sensors, it generates a Girder event which the user can program to trigger responses, activate applications, etc. etc. The optional 56K sensor allows the USB-UIRT to 'see' remote controls that emit IR using 56KHz carriers. Among those remotes are several Satellite boxes, including Sky Digital, Echostar, Dish Network, Bell EVU.

Hope this helps,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

56KHz

Postby boba » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:19 pm

I have been unsuccessfully trying to learn the codes from my RCA universal remote rcu800 which comes with DirecTV. In the debug mode it indicates a frequency of 57kHz. Some codes can be learned in the debug mode, e.g., in the standard satellite mode; however, in other modes I can't get a complete read and when I try to use the improperly learned code in a test mode, the USBUIRT hangs up. You mention
LEARN IR -- this task is used when you are 'learning' an IR stream so that it can be re-transmitted later. The USB-UIRT uses a special short-range wide-band sensor for this -- so once again the 56KHz sensor has no relevance

How close do I have to be. I typically trainat about 3 inches. :?:
boba

Postby jrhees » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:57 pm

boba,

The distance varies depending on the remote. However, if in IR Debug mode, for example, you can hold down a remote button and get a fairly consistent carrier frequency (not bouncing all over the place but staying within 1 to 2 KHz) and the progress bar consistently climbs up to 100% then you're at a good distance. Also, if you're too close or far away the RED LED will not blink consistently.

When you learn a code (not in IR Debug) are you pressing and holding the remote's button? Does the progress bar simply not go to 100%? How are you using an 'improperly learned code'?

Also, it may be helpful to post an IR debug of one of your buttons.

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to General-Discussion