Compatibility with Nokia Phone

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Compatibility with Nokia Phone

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:25 pm

I was curious if this unit will work with my Nokia 3650. I want to use to control my stereo equipment as well, but do not want to buy a second unit to transfer files to and from my phone. Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Eidolon

Postby jrhees » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:42 pm

Eidolon,

Your Nokia phone likely uses 'IrDA' protocols for IR communication. Unfortunately, the USB-UIRT does not offer IrDA support.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Any Suggestions?

Postby Eidolon » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:35 am

Would there be an easy to moderately difficult way to modify this unit to handle both protocols? I am pretty crafty with a soldering iron, just not up to par in my IR knowledge.

1) Is there a single chip solution to to handle the IrDA protocol? Thereby allowing me to use the existing emitter, receiver, and serial interface via a switch of some sort?

2) If that is totally out of the question due to ????, do you know of any other product that would meet my needs?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I don't fancy having to carry 2 separate IR devices around. If only Compaq would have built my laptop with an IR port :evil:

Regards,

Eidolon
Eidolon

Postby jrhees » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:37 pm

Unfortunately, the answer is no. The IRDA emitter/detector pair (the optoelectronics) are very different and are sensitive to a different modulation frequency. So, besides the optos, you would also have to change out the processor, the front-end USB interface, etc. etc. By that time, you've completely designed a USB-IRDA dongle.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Eidolon » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:13 pm

Thank you for the timely and informative reply. I guess I'm stuck. Right now it's more important for me to be able to back up my phone, so I will search out a decent IrDA USB dongle for now. Once I have that set up and working, I can concentrate on the UIRT. If anyone has suggestions on an IrDA dongle, I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks again for the helpful info.

Regards,

Eidolon
Eidolon

Return to General-Discussion