Can the USB-UIRT wake up a powered off PC?

General discussion and comments that don't fit in the other topic areas.

Moderator: jrhees

Can the USB-UIRT wake up a powered off PC?

Postby owagner » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:14 am

Hi,

this is probably an extremly stupid question, but I have failed to find the information so far: Is the USB-UIRT capable of waking up a PC which is turned off (not in standby or hibernate, actually turned off?)

In my case, it's a Shuttle SK41G XPC. I can wake up the device using a Wake-On-LAN packet, and it seems to be powering USB when turned off.

Thanks,
Olli
owagner

Postby jrhees » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:28 pm

In a word, NO.

USB wake-up support from power OFF just isn't there yet. I have a shuttle XPC which I'm looking into now to see just how far I can go with USB wake-up. But, even with the stars aligned, it only appears wake from S3 is the best you can expect.

Someday I imagine there will be USB controllers on the motherboard which will power USB devices and support PC wake-up. But not today.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby owagner » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:37 am

Thanks for the information.

Since it's an HTPC which is in use for ~2 hours every other day, keeping it in S3 isn't really an option.

Would it work from S4 (Hibernate), or is this similiar to power-off, hardware-wise (sorry again if this is a stupid question)?

Olli
owagner

Postby perf » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:33 pm

I keep my Shuttle HTPC in S3 constantly. I also use it for a couple of hours every other day. It is completely quiet in S3. Why do you think keeping it in S3 is not an option? (Just curious.)

/Per
perf

Postby jrhees » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:08 pm

S4/Hibernate is identical to Power OFF from a hardware standpoint. The only difference is that in Hibernate, there's a modified boot record written to the hard drive.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:13 am

@jrhees

Thanks again for the information :)

@perf

Mainly because of the power consumption, although I also seem to remember that the driver for the SkyStar 2 DVB-S card had issues with Standby. I can verify this again, though.

Olli

Postby perf » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:47 am

OK, I see.

One option if you don't mind spending more money, and you have a programmable remote, is this IR receiver and remote control kit:

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/cases.php (far down on the page)

From user experience I have read, the IR receiver itself is not very good, but it has a separate connection to the Power button on the computer, which can be used on its own.

Jon: Would it be a possible extension to the USB-UÍRT to have such a connection to the Power button?

/Per
perf

Postby jrhees » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:12 pm

I have on my to-do list to come up with an external circuit and the needed changes that a DIY'er could use to hook up to standby power and the power button...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby bliss » Sun May 02, 2004 5:06 am

jrhees wrote:I have on my to-do list to come up with an external circuit and the needed changes that a DIY'er could use to hook up to standby power and the power button...

-Jon

Is this still in the works? I would love to add this to my system.
bliss

Postby Jean-Max » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:55 pm

Hello !

I apologize for this Newbies's question, but , can you give me a link about the setup of this "S3" for wakeup the PC from USB-UIRT ?
I think this "S3" is inside the Bios setup ?

My MB is an Asus P4P800E deluxe (AMI bios)

I have the USB-UIRT plugged in a rear USB connector (but it's possible to connect it directly on a MB USB connector, if necessary for the wakeup process..

Thanks for any help :)
Jean-Max
Jean-Max

Return to General-Discussion