Mac OS X USB-UIRT interface application

Interested in integrating USB-UIRT support into an application? Look here!

Moderator: jrhees

Mac OS X USB-UIRT interface application

Postby xyster » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:12 am

I've written a small app, ribsu, that facilitates interfacing with USB-UIRT on the Mac.
It currently supports UIR, basic RAW/RAW2 learning and has rudimentary Pronto code support. This is mostly a release to see that it runs on machines other than mine. At some point, after some input on how to do it, I would like to release an API.
Please test and let me know how it behaves for you.

Thanks!
xyster

ribsu feedback

Postby JcMarin » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:17 am

OK so I have downloaded and tested ribsu

First of all, let me tell you I'm not a developer so my feedback will be limited to confirming it runs and basic functionality. Also if i state somenthing thats obvious or plain stupid I escuse myself by just arguing ingonornace :D

My Setup:
Mac Mini rev-b
1.42 Ghz G4
512 Ram
Running Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.2)

I Connected USB-UIRT and checked to make sure the USB port saw it.
I ran ribsu in Terminal and tested a couple of the commands

20 UIR
Everythin OK tested a couple of IR Signals and got back 6 Byte codes OK

21 RAW
tested a couple of IR signals and got 36 codes back, copied and pasted and codes were sent out OK.

If I leave button pressed on remote the reapeating 36 code is one more shorter that original (guess its a repeat code) whch alone will do nothing if pasted back.

I did manage to paste garbage a couple of times :? and got the eror codes 80 or 81 back.

24 RAW2
Nothing happens with this mode, did not react to any codes I tested from remote. Is RAW2 supposed to react just to certain protocols?

First time I tried quiting I typed quit instead of just Q and USB-UIRT got stock with led ON all the time, I just unpluged and plugen again and evrything back to normal.

Regarding API and furhter development, what would be great and give the best flexibilitywith a simple interface would be to have just a backround app running that understands Apple Script and very basic GUI to output learned code (like right now with 21 code).

So you could just script to it like:

Tell Application ribsu
send code '36192739812749164981'
end tell

There are lots of applications that can trigger an Apple Script based on several events (like X10, Keyboard, other USB input, etc) so off the bat you could have USB-UIRT integrated and working

Now in terms of reacting to received IR codes (UIR) not sure how to trigger a response from this basic app idea, could be hte app launches an apple script itself in response maybe?

Hope this feedback helps in some way.

UR The Man !

Applescript

Postby xyster » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:24 am

Yes, AppleScript integration would be nice but I still need to sort out what I want to do at a lower level. For now, though, you can use ribsu with the following AppleScript snippet:

Code: Select all
on sendIR(code)
  set command to "echo " & code & " | /Applications/ribsu"
  do shell script command
end sendIR

Assuming ribsu is in your Applications folder.

You would then call it like so:

Code: Select all
sendIR("36392C01DD7D...")

As for mode 24. I believe the availability of this mode may depend on which USB-UIRT you have. If you have the correct one, the mode requires that you place the remote very close to USB-UIRT for it to detect the signal.
xyster

Further Mac Support?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:23 am

I was wondering if any further progress was done with this driver/app

I'm ussing the small app that xyster created to send IR with applescript, but I would like to react based on signals recevied.

xyster, John? anything new for Mac OS?

Postby JcMarin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:43 am

(forgot to log last time)

Bump... any news on the Mac development?

Postby JcMarin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:26 pm

one more bump
Anybody?

Postby xyster » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:24 pm

I got side tracked by other things and I haven't gotten much interest from others.
Why can't you react to signals as it works now?
xyster

Working on an app based on ribsu

Postby siberian » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 am

having some basic troubles with ribsu buffering the output but just a heads up someone (me) is interested in this project :)
siberian

Postby wtb » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Has anyone recompiled the source with Xcode or gotten it to work with an Cocoa app?
wtb

Compiling

Postby siberian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:47 am

I compile under XCode and it seems to work fine, have built for 10.4 and 10.5 and made some minor mods with Xysters pointers.

What are you looking to do?

John-

wtb wrote:Has anyone recompiled the source with Xcode or gotten it to work with an Cocoa app?
siberian

Postby wtb » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:25 pm

I got it to work. I forgot to include the IOKit framework.

I was trying to use RemoteBuddy to send AppleEvents to an app, but was having problems. This product seems to be a much better solution. I was hoping to use the Apple IR receiver, but it doesn't seem to be easy if it's even possible.

Thanks.
wtb

Re: Compiling

Postby JcMarin » Sun May 10, 2009 10:43 pm

siberian wrote:I compile under XCode and it seems to work fine, have built for 10.4 and 10.5 and made some minor mods with Xysters pointers.

What are you looking to do?

John-

wtb wrote:Has anyone recompiled the source with Xcode or gotten it to work with an Cocoa app?

Long time since I have been here, but I would love to get the USB-UIRT working again.

Can you post your 10.5 builds? would these run in powerPC mac?
Also are you guys using it to send only or have you managed to use it to react to a received IR?

Postby dipalina » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 am

Can I run both Mac OS X Leopard and Windows Vista at the same time on an Acer laptop? Can I run both Mac OS X Leopard and Windows Vista at the same time on an Acer laptop? I don't want to have Vista look like OS X I want to physicly be running them both at the same time.

Postby zakwon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:13 pm

I am interested in this a great deal, any updates?
is there ANYTHING close to robo dance that I could use to control robots from os X? I am looking in to this for a live audio/visual performance, I would like to trigger routines and actions with midi, but we don't have many PC's lying around.
zakwon

Return to Developers