USB-UIRT, Myth, Jarod's Guide and Fedora

Interested in integrating USB-UIRT support into an application? Look here!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT, Myth, Jarod's Guide and Fedora

Postby BofW » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:39 pm

Greetings.
I am fairly new to linux and was hoping to get a little aid.
I am trying to put together a mythbox following Jarod's guide using FC3.
I have purchased a USB-UIRT in order to control my set top box.
I have followed Jarod's guide up to and including the lirc steps. The current guide has apt-get install lirc 0.7.0, but after reading these forums I realize I need lirc 0.7.0pre7 in order to use the USB-UIRT, along with a patch. I have downloaded the 0.7.0pre7 version of lirc and the patch from neveld.
Following the instructions for the patch I unpacked the distrobution and applied the patch. After running sh setup.sh I selected the usb-uirt_raw driver and then did the save config & run config. Everything looks ok up to this point, so far as I can tell.
The make install, well, that is another story. Due to my inexperience with linux, I am just not sure if it is working correctly or not. The only other time I have done something like this was running "make rpm" to create some ndiswrapper rpm's to get wireless networking working.
SInce it is quite a bit of information, I have placed the output from make install here.
Assuming this is correct, which I am taking as a big assumption, I believe the next step is to move the lirc.fedora-local file to the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory as local-lircd.
I am guessing, after looking at the file iteself, that it is some sort of script. However, again, I am not really sure what to do with it at this point.
Sorry for the rather basic questions, but I am just not that comfortable with linux at this point to move forward on my own.

Anyway, thank you very much to those who have worked on the linux patches.
Sorry if this is a huge rehash.
Appreciate your time and patience.
Thanks again!
BofW

Re: USB-UIRT, Myth, Jarod's Guide and Fedora

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:09 pm

BofW wrote:Greetings.
I am fairly new to linux and was hoping to get a little aid.
I am trying to put together a mythbox following Jarod's guide using FC3.
I have purchased a USB-UIRT in order to control my set top box.
I have followed Jarod's guide up to and including the lirc steps. The current guide has apt-get install lirc 0.7.0, but after reading these forums I realize I need lirc 0.7.0pre7 in order to use the USB-UIRT, along with a patch. I have downloaded the 0.7.0pre7 version of lirc and the patch from neveld.
Following the instructions for the patch I unpacked the distrobution and applied the patch. After running sh setup.sh I selected the usb-uirt_raw driver and then did the save config & run config. Everything looks ok up to this point, so far as I can tell.
The make install, well, that is another story. Due to my inexperience with linux, I am just not sure if it is working correctly or not. The only other time I have done something like this was running "make rpm" to create some ndiswrapper rpm's to get wireless networking working.
SInce it is quite a bit of information, I have placed the output from make install here.
Assuming this is correct, which I am taking as a big assumption, I believe the next step is to move the lirc.fedora-local file to the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory as local-lircd.
I am guessing, after looking at the file iteself, that it is some sort of script. However, again, I am not really sure what to do with it at this point.
Sorry for the rather basic questions, but I am just not that comfortable with linux at this point to move forward on my own.

Anyway, thank you very much to those who have worked on the linux patches.
Sorry if this is a huge rehash.
Appreciate your time and patience.
Thanks again!

First thanks to all for various pointers. Finally got it working on FC3.

There are errors in the Makefiles from neveld. You have to remove "--tag=CC" from the
various Makefiles.

The other thing I had to do was "ln -sf /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/lirc" to get it working.
I think I had to add this to the startup script for lirc as it kept of disappearing
every reboot.

You can send me an email at kostiuk@sask.trlabs.ca if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Andrew

Return to Developers