repeatCount Questions

Interested in integrating USB-UIRT support into an application? Look here!

Moderator: jrhees

repeatCount Questions

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:08 pm

How is the best way to optimize the repeatCount parameter for transmitting IR? Is it best to set the repeatCount as high as possible without multiple transmitts, or should it be set as low as possible and still function properly (or maybe somewhere in between the two)?

If writing an application should the repeatCount be user configurable? Do different devices need a different repeatCount?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Gary Blackburn
canoewhiteh2o

Postby Bitmonster » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:30 pm

Higher repeatCount: more reliable
Lower repeatCount: faster transmission

So the best value is anywhere in between. For EventGhost I have decided to use a repeatCount of 4 as default and give the user the option to modify it.

Some things won't work if you cannot modify repeatCount. For example some projectors can only be turned on, if you press the power button for a pair of seconds. So you need a very high repeatCount there.

On the other side is the volume control of many AMPs that will increase the value on every transmission. So if you stay with a repeat count of 4, you will actually increase the volume four steps.
Bitmonster

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that the repeatCount would have to be available to a user. This adds one additional level of complexity for the user but I suspect that a default repeatCount will handle 90% of all transmissions.

Thanks,
Gary
canoewhiteh2o

Return to Developers