send remote code - USB-UIRT, BTV4 and Firefly

Interested in integrating USB-UIRT support into an application? Look here!

Moderator: jrhees

send remote code - USB-UIRT, BTV4 and Firefly

Postby rsoandrew » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:02 am

I'm looking for a very simple program that will allow me to send remote codes without using girder or the like. I’ve read too much about the difficulties of getting girder to work. Essentially all I really want to do is change the volume on my stereo.

Scenario
I'm using BeyondTV4 with the firefly RF remote control. BTV4 will allow me to call external programs that can be associated with a firefly button press.

I would like to find a program that can either 1) let me input the remote code and then generates an executable program that, when run, just tells the USB-UIRT to transmit the code (you'd need one executable for each button code) or 2) a program that allows me to paste the remote code into a file and then provide a command line argument to tell the program which remote code from the file to transmit.

Has anybody see such a program or have already written one as part of testing the USB-UIRT?
rsoandrew

Send Remote Codes - USB-UIRT Programming

Postby someday » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:39 pm

Send Remote Codes - USB-UIRT Programming

I am also looking for a similar, simple program. I intend to write my own with Visual Basic if I can get information about the procedure calls provided in the dll or drivers supplied with the USB-UIRT. I will try to get info from this forum or elsewhere and will post program if I am successful.
someday

Simple way to send remote codes

Postby someday » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:09 am

Another fairly simple way to learn and send remote codes is with "EventGhost" a free automation program. It took me a while to figure it out but all you have to do is create a macro to send the IR code and add an action to activate it or repeat it. You need an IR Receiver/Transmitter also. The best one seems to be the "USB-UIRT" and it costs about $50.
someday

Postby jrhees » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:41 pm

One way to do this is to use a simple command-line too called uutx.

You can download this from http://www.usbuirt.com/uutx_0_3.zip
-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

doesn't seem to work

Postby rsoandrew » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:38 pm

I just got around to trying this today but the program doesn't seem to work. Every time I try it I get an "invalid code" error message. This includes when I only use the "play" command in the sample file.

I'm using winxp, in dos console (CMD) and I am in the directory where the program and sample file reside.

Any suggestions?
rsoandrew

USB-UIRT program usbuirt.com/uutx_0_3 doesn't work

Postby someday » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:59 pm

Just for your information, I also tried this program a while ago and got the same errors. I just gave up on it. USB-UIRT program usbuirt.com/uutx_0_3 doesn't work
someday

It works - operator error

Postby rsoandrew » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:22 am

I contacted Jon about the program yesterday and he was nice enough to respond.

I'm sure that you (and probably others) were doing the same thing I was. The program requires you to name the file where the code resides. So correct usage is:

uutx -fcodeshere.txt play

Note that I noticed that the code descriptors are case sensitive so PLAY is different than play.

There are also other command line switches
uutx [-r<repeatCount> ] [-d<deviceNumber> ] [-s<sleepms>] "<IRCode>"
-or-
uutx [-r<repeatCount> ] [-d<deviceNumber> ] [-s<sleepms>] -f<fileName> <

So I used lrnhelper to capture a code and tried it with uutx. Success! Now I just have to figure out where to mount my USB-UIRT so it covers all of my devices.
rsoandrew

Return to Developers