Custom External Emmitter trouble

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Custom External Emmitter trouble

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:45 pm

Hey Jon,

I've got a multi-zone USB-UIRT and I'm trying to use Z1 within BeyondTV

I've updated my .rmt file so I think I've got that side of it right.

I think the problem I'm having is with my electronics ability.

I've wired it as follows:

Connector Barrel <---------> LED Cathode (-)

Connector Tip <-------------> LED Anode (+)

So I'm not sure where the problem is. Perhaps in the IR emmitter I purchased isn't the right kind? I'm using the blue shaded one in the above picture

I've attached some pictures, don't know if they are of any help

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Postby jrhees » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:52 pm

Its hard to tell from your pics (out of focus). I would suggest first trying it *without* the Zone specifier (cover the fron the of the USB-UIRT to prevent the blasters from reaching the intended receiver). Then try Zones 1 and 2.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:23 am

I know, I couldn't get them any more focused with how close I wanted to get.

I'll give that a shot. So I'm assuming if I don't put the identifier in, the unit blasts from all zones?

Postby jrhees » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:26 pm

That's correct.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:31 pm

Ok. I've verified my cable is OK.

I plugged my cable into the back of the USBUIRT directly (no splitter yet) and didn't change my rmt file (no Z1, Z2, or Z3 yet).

I put electrical tape over the front of the UIRT to ensure it wasn't getting the signal from that.

I then plugged in my cable into the splitter (this splitter to be exact http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... 2102691&cp )

I tried both ports as well as putting Z2 or Z3 in my rmt file and it didn't seem to do anything.

Any other ideas? I'm perhaps leaning towards that the above splitter isn't what's needed?

Thanks!
Brad

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:33 pm

And Jon according to this post about half way down, you suggest it will work:

http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... c225a18cfe

Maybe this is not the case?

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi Brad

I dont think that adaptor will work ....Im almost sure it doesnt split the signals but i will test one and get back to you....

Would suggest for testing purposes connect a standard red led to your lead and this will at lead give visual indication if ir signal is being txed.....

When our xPL Developer wrote the USB UIRT plugin i made up a box with 2 standard leds so we could verify that txing to zones worked ok.... worked no problems...

HTH
Frank

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi Brad

Just tested and it doesnt split the stereo plug to each socket on the adaptor..It actually joins the tip on the plug to both tip conections on each socket....The centre connection on the plug doesnt connect to anything ...pity would have been quite useful for the USBUIRT....

Would be quite easy to make a splitter.....Get a very small box , mount 2 3.5mm sockets inside ,get a 3.5mm stereo lead and connect tip to one socket tip connection and connect the centre connection of the lead to the tip connection of the other socket and then connect the chassis connection of the lead to both chassis connections of each socket......

HTH
Frank

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:11 am

Thanks Frank. I found out the same tonight as well.

I just went out and got this one:

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=2740396

It works great!

Now I've got my 2 identical satelitte boxes being controlled independantly (they don't have the ability to have seperate remote freq's unfortunatly).

This rocks!

Now I've got an extra USB-UIRT kicking around (w/ 56 Khz adaptor) hmmm

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:29 am

Hi Brad

Nice find......This link will be quite useful for other USBUIRT Users im sure...

Glad to hear you got it working.......

Frank

PS......If you ever need to get ir to / from several rooms back to your USBUIRT check out my FirM Jr.......
http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/page8.html

Return to Troubleshooting