USB-UIRT with LIRC 0.7.2 - remote needs to be close to work

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT with LIRC 0.7.2 - remote needs to be close to work

Postby Naked » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:19 pm

I have a bit of a problem with my USB-UIRT. I am using it with a Debian system. I found the patch to enable USB-UIRT for LIRC 0.7.1, but since Debian (unstable) is using LIRC 0.7.2, I had to adapt the patch for that version. The remote I am using is a Marantz RC5500SR. That remote uses the RC-6 protocol.

Now, I am confronted with a problem that I don't know if it is of my own doing or something real.

I was able to teach the remote in LIRC without any problems. I had the remote around one inch away from the receiver and I have no reception problems what so ever. Every keypress is detected accurately and speedily. LIRC did not manage to get the toggle_bit correctly, but the RC-6 template had it correct, so I think that's just something LIRC doesn't automatically do.

But, after learning, the remote still only works if it is within 1 inch of the receiver! If I take it further away, LIRC does not recognize anything!

So, I don't know what's wrong. I wonder if my remote's configuration file is too strict and I should change some timings. Or if USB-UIRT is somehow stuck in learning mode, unable to go to normal reception. Or if I broke LIRC or it's USB-UIRT support somehow when making the patch.

I would appreciate any suggestions people might give me - and I would especially value help from people who are using RC-6 type remotes with USB-UIRT and LIRC.
Nuutti Kotivuori
Naked

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:17 pm

The easiest way to determine if the USB-UIRT is still in learning mode is to watch the USB-UIRT's LED. If it is no longer in learning mode, the long-range receiver should cause the red LED to blink when it sees IR activity from longer distances.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby jamesarm97 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:45 am

jrhees wrote:The easiest way to determine if the USB-UIRT is still in learning mode is to watch the USB-UIRT's LED. If it is no longer in learning mode, the long-range receiver should cause the red LED to blink when it sees IR activity from longer distances.

-Jon

I just tried my usb-uirt on linux for the first time in awhile. I was able to patch lirc 0.7.1 and the kernal saw the device and attached it to ttyUSB0. irrecord saw data but it seemed to have different frequencies for different buttons, they are all about the same. It only sees IR when the remote is close. When I went to test it would not see any data far more than 3 inches away. What is the correct way to exit learning mode so it will see ir from across the room? I have an old usb-uirt56 and it shows version 0504 from lircd. I saw someone with 0509 on a message, where is that version found at?

- James
jamesarm97

Postby jrhees » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the Lirc patch to help you with entering/exiting the learning mode.

As far as newer firmware, the latest (v5.9) can be downloaded from www.usbuirt.com/latestFirmware.zip

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Naked » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:38 am

For me, the problem was simply that I needed to up the tolerance values from the defaults if the remote was further than 1 inch away. Specifically, I changed eps from 30 to 50.

This way I can have the most accurate remote config.
Nuutti Kotivuori
Naked

Return to Troubleshooting