lrnhelper - where can I get one that works?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

lrnhelper - where can I get one that works?

Postby catalin59 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:11 am

I just got an USB-UIRT and I tested it with BeyondTV4, a Hauppauge 150 TV capture card and a Scientific Atlanta 3250 STB. It works, something I cannot say about the IR Blaster that came with the Haupauge video card. However, I want to do more with USB-UIRT than that and I would like to interface with it at a much lower level. Searching this forum I have found reports about a lrnhelper tool that could be a start in that direction. However, it is not clear how one would get this tool. A Google search yelded the following files, posted on various forums:

lrnhelper-1.exe from 09/01/2004
lrnhelper-3.exe from the same date
lrnhelper.exe from 01/30/2006

There seems to be no difference between the first two versions, they both fail to work properly. Both recognize when an IR remote button is pushed in the "Received UIR Event Code" field so the hardware and drivers seem to be OK, I can see different codes for different buttons. However, when I try to "Learn an IR Code" absolutely nothing happens and all I can do is press the Cancel button. The "Test Transmit IR Code" button is always greyed out.

The third version of lrnhelper, which seems the latest one considering the date gives me the following error when I try to run it: "Run-time error 713: Class not Registered. You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL" and obviously doesn't work at all for this reason.

So where would it be possible to get a version of this tool that really works?
catalin59

Postby jrhees » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:38 am

You can download lrnHelper from www.usbuirt.com/lrnhelper_0_0_2.zip

The problem you're having is not with the lrnHelper app -- rather it is how you are positioning your remote during the 'Learn'. When learning, the USB-UIRT switches to a short-range sensor and the lrnHelper app instructs you to hold your remote close to the USB-UIRT, aimed directly at it.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:41 am

Jon,

For the record, this version of lrnhelper did work. I had to reduce the distance between the remote and the USB-UIRT to about 2 inches to get a good capture. This was unexpected, the lrnhelper software says 6 inches - from that distance I got no response at all. The remote I am trying to emulate is most likely a very weak one, running from a Li coin cell, it can control its device up to a distance of 4 meters only.

Adding a link to download this tool on the www.usbuirt.com site might be a good idea.

Thanks for the support, keep up the good work.

Postby LeaUK » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:53 pm

I too have a remote that needs to be no greater than 20mm from the front of the UIRT to learn successfully. But the remote operates the paired hardware from anywhere upto 6m !?

Just thought I'd mention.

Also, just as an aside who reads the manual? Thankfully the Meedio plugin does indeed express this requirement.

Great device though Jon, cheers.

Lea
LeaUK

Return to Troubleshooting