Standby/Resume

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Standby/Resume

Postby hittr » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:02 pm

Am I correct in assuming that with the current Girder plugin, the current driver/api and the current firmware there is still no way to place your system in S3 suspend to ram standby with the USB UIRT connected or to wake the system from this state via the USB UIRT? If this is the case are the prospects of getting this resolved likely in the near future? What are others doing as a work around?

It seems there is conflicting information between this forum and the Girder forum where possibly some people have gotten it to work??

Thanks for the assistance.
hittr

Postby perf » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:25 pm

I think it depends on your hardware (MB/BIOS/USB controller). It works for me, since Jon put in a workaround for the driver having to be restarted after resume. However, I have a remaining issue when resume is not induced by the USB-UIRT.

Many other people are only able to go into S1 if they are to be able to have the USB-UIRT cause the resume. If they disable this, they can go into S3.

/Per

Edit: I run W2k
Last edited by perf on Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perf

Postby jrhees » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:21 pm

Another tidbit of information:

Not only is this motherboard/Bios dependent, but also if you're running Windows XP, WindowsXP will *not* allow a system to enter S3 suspend if *any* USB peripherals are requesting wakeup capabilities -- whether the motherboard supports it or not. Apparently MS was having too many issues with USB wakes. There reportedly is a registry hack to get around this (heard it from an Intel Motherboard developer), but I don't know what it is.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Wiseblood » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:41 pm

Anyone know what this registry hack is? I've scoured Google and haven't found anything.
Wiseblood

Postby jrhees » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:18 pm

Take a look at:

http://www.computerbase.de/news.php?id=4533

I believe after the registry change is made, you'll need to reboot. I have NOT tried this change myself but it is supposed to prevent XP from forcing S1 when USB devices want to wake up the system.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby JcMarin » Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:48 am

Well I tried the Hack and it works, in now lets the system go to S3 state with the USB-UIRT set to wake, but the USB-UIRT won't wake the system.

The only way I can wake the system remotley is through wake-on-lan.

Btw. I had S3 originally off in the BIOS when I installed XP s I had to enable this in the BIOS and then use the dumppo utility to enable in XP.

Jon?
Is this something dependent then of my bios/motherboard or could something be done in future versions of the driver?

Postby jrhees » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:31 am

JcMarin,

1. Does the USB-UIRT successfully wake the PC when only going to S1?

2. When going to S3, does the Red LED blink when trying to wake up the PC?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby JcMarin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:38 pm

1) Yes, the USB-URT wakes the PC from S1
2) Yes the light does blink on the USB-URT while at S3

Could it be that the registry hack allows to go into S3 because it disables the wake from sleep for USB?

Postby jrhees » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:07 pm

Yes, it sounds like, for whatever reason, the USB controller on the motherboard does not support wake from S3. The USB-UIRT does not know the difference between S1 and S3 and will try to initiate a wake either way (assuming it has power, which since you see the LED blink proves it does).

I am guessing this is one of the reasons Microsoft forced S1 in Windows XP.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby JcMarin » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:06 pm

Jon:

Some follow up on this...

After I tested going to S3 with the register hack and even do USB-UIRT would not wake the PC, I decided to leave the setting as it was anyway since I prefered S3 to S1 and I would use WOL from NetRemote to wake the HTPC.

Anyway I had a couple of times when the computer froze (not sure if it was the USB-URIT) some time after waking up form S3, so I erased the hack and disbled the Wake from USB on the USB-UIRT and I have not had any problem since then with S3

It does seam like having an USB equipment with wake from USB and S3 causes some problems in XP.

I wonder if that also has to do with the problem perf is having with his W2K

Postby jrhees » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:18 pm

JcMarin,

Thanks for the update!

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:56 am

Jon:

I'm having some problems with my current setup and waking up from stand-by.

I'm ussing an ATI AIW Card and basically use the HTPC to watch TV and as a PVR. The problem I have is after I go into S3 and wake-up (if I have the USB-UIRT pluged-in) CPU Load goes from <10% to 30% while watching TV and From 60% to > 100% while Recording (TimeShift).

This is why I noticed because if I leave a recording scheduled and then go to S3 stand-by after waking the HTPC will not record correctly do to cpu load.

Now this only happens while I have the USB-UIRT conencted (if I disable devices in Girder cpu load goes down). I have tried disabling Girder before stand-by but that did not help. I have also tried un-pluging usb-uirt after wake up and plug it in again but also didn't help.

Only Thing I have not tested is un-pluging usb-urt before stand-by... any ideas? I have also tried enabling and disabling the (reset after resume on driver, and I have wake from USB disbaled)

Postby jrhees » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:53 pm

Guest,

What would be interesting to try is:

1. Have USB-UIRT plugged in and Girder running and devices enabled.
2. Disable Devices in Girder
3. Unplug USB-UIRT
4. Stand-By
5. Resume
6. Plug In USB-UIRT
7. Re-enable devices in Girder
8. Check CPU Load.

Then, after a fresh boot, redo the same test again, but omit steps 3 and 6

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby JcMarin » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:30 am

OK,

Will try that out and let you know tomorrow.

btw. I forgot to login last time :-)

Postby JcMarin » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:07 pm

Jon:

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I have been away and traveling alot these days.

I tried what you posted, Disbale Girder devices, disconected USB-UIRT, stand-by, plug USB-UIRT re-enable devices in Girder. Problems still happnes.

If I have USB-UIRT enabled after stand-b and go to watch TV or DVD CPU goes to 100% and Audio/Vide stutter. Now this only seems to happen with Audio/Video Applications and its very notisable with for instance playing DVD where Audio and Video while USB-UIRT enabled will play and stop every second.

So I think this may be a conflict with my USB Audio card (M-Audio Sonica) since its also USB, but not sure.

Next I will try to go to S1 instead of S3 to see if that maes a Difference.

Next

Return to Troubleshooting