UIRT2 unable to learn Dish 811 IR codes

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

UIRT2 unable to learn Dish 811 IR codes

Postby windtrader » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi Jon,

I'm having a problem getting a Dish 811 receiver working with girder and a vintage UIRT2, oldie but still working strong. Even though this not a USB version I'm hoping you can get me unstuck.

The basic problem is the UIRT2 can not learn the IR codes from the 811. It has a teach remote mode that transmits a IR code that corresponds to a press of the remote.

Doing some research here, I found this comment that might be causing the UIRT2 learn problem. The UIRT2 has firmware 2.0. I can not get the IR codes into the UIRT2 girder plugin. I tried different tuning settings, different frequencies, raw learn mode, etc. Same results every time. Learn progress moves part way, one or two jumps depending on length and times remote key is pressed. The plugin never recognizes a complete code.

POST - Dish IR Remote 103602 -
First, it appears that you're using older firmware. A change was put in the firmware a several revs back to limit the number of different codes produced by a Dish Network (Echostar) remote (which uses an unusual protocol).

I used a learning remote and taught it a few keys using the 811 teach remote feature. I then tried to use the learning remote and have it teach the codes into girder. No go.

BTW. the 811 IR codes are receiver dependent! I have two 811 receivers, each with a different remote address. These are used to ensure the remote controls just the designated receiver. Anyway, I learned the IR codes from one receiver and they would not work the other receiver. So, the IR code has a receiver identifier in them on this unit, making this all more convoluted.

I tried to import a Pronto code and that did not work; probably due to the receiver codes being mismatched. I thought I might use a girder GML for UIRT2 the Dish 811 IR codes but this seems unlikely due to the basic Dish IR learn into UIRT2 issue. If I could somehow grab 811 IR codes from a gml for a USB-UIRT, I would likely have problems due to the remote address issue.

I'm pretty stuck at this point. I'd hate to throw out the girder-UIRT2 integration to gethis going. I guess I could go back to Comcast as that receiver worked fine.

thx don
windtrader

Return to Troubleshooting