Suspend to RAM with no fans?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Suspend to RAM with no fans?

Postby Pete Ness » Sun May 18, 2003 8:49 pm

I have a USB-UIRT and an ASUS P4PE motherboard.

I'm attempting to get my PC to shut down as much as possible when not in use, and this ideally includes no fans running.

When I have the USB-UIRT plugged in to my computer, the system will suspend to RAM, but the fans stay running. This is true no matter what software I have running (ie: if I hit the power switch to suspend before I even log in, the same thing happens). Whether or not Girder is running, the result is the same - suspending leaves the fans running.

When I unplug the USB-UIRT, suspending turns off the fans.

Is there any way to have the USB-UIRT allow the fans to turn off?

I understand the need to have the USB-UIRT able to turn the PC back on from suspend. I have mixed feelings on this - I'd like it to work this way, but I'd rather have a silent PC when not running (and not waste the electricity of running the fans 95% of the time when the PC is not in use).

Any ideas on this?

Summary: Is there any way to have the USB-UIRT allow the PC to suspend to S3 state rather than S1?
Pete Ness

Postby jrhees » Sun May 18, 2003 9:46 pm

Pete,

I have yet to see a USB host which supports resume from S3. I would guess they exist, but I've yet to be convinced.

Since keyboards are the most common 'other' peripheral which can/should wake up a PC, I would suggest trying to see if you can get a USB keyboard and your PC to wake from S3.

For any peripheral to wake your PC from the S3 state requires the peripheral interface chip and the PC both support the #PME asynchronous signal (Power Management Event'). This signal is specifically designed to support wake-up when other subsystems such as interrupts, the PCI bus, processor, etc., are all down. When PME from S3 is not supported from a particular peripheral which otherwise wants to power up the PC, then the system will instead go to S1 state, which allows the major subsystems to stay alive.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Pete Ness » Sun May 18, 2003 10:19 pm

Hi, Jon.

You're right - my USB keyboard, when set up to wake the PC, won't allow it to go to an S3 state either (only S1), so it looks like this is generally the way USB devices are (at least the few that I have).

The one thing different about the USB-UIRT and a keyboard / mouse here, though, is that they let me pick the option to have them wake the PC. Is there any option on the USB-UIRT that will enable the PC to enter S3 (even if it won't be able to wake up from that state via the USB port)?

Thanks for the quick response!

- Pete
Pete Ness

Postby Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 1:25 am

Pete,

To do this requires that you run a utility which changes a few non-volatile bits inside the USB-UIRT. It is currently not changeable via the plugin, etc.

If you want to do this, let me know (email uirtsupport@earthlink.net)

-Jon

Postby Tivolicious » Sun May 25, 2003 5:35 pm

Anonymous wrote:Pete,

To do this requires that you run a utility which changes a few non-volatile bits inside the USB-UIRT. It is currently not changeable via the plugin, etc.

If you want to do this, let me know (email uirtsupport@earthlink.net)

-Jon

I'm in the same boat here. I will also write you, but I wanted to cast a vote for putting it in the plugin. :)

Cheers,
Steve
Tivolicious

Return to Troubleshooting