sagetv problem

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

sagetv problem

Postby ultimase » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:16 am

I recieved the usbuirt yesterday and have been working on sagetv trying to get everything working.

I have installed the drivers for the usbuirt and it seems that sagetv see's it. However, when I try to setup everything it gets to where sagetv asks me to hold down 0 until told to release it, and I hold 0 down for up to 5 minutes with no change on the screen.

I downloaded a usb-uirt learn helper utility and have successfully gotten that to learn the 0 and transmit it, however, back with sagetv no luck.

Any ideas, or even a direction I can take to see why it isn't working?

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE
ultimase

Postby UltimaSE » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:39 pm

I realize I might have been a bit cryptic yesterday, I apoligize I was pretty tired.

When sagetv prompts me to press 0 the usbuirt light is flashing, alternating direction or distance does not seem to make sagetv proceed.

In order to get the program to respond I have to hold the remote very close to the usbuirt, for it to successfully learn the remote and repeat.

In reading older posts it seems that sagetv usually has a 10 second time out feature when learning the keys. I'm wondering if that is still present, if it is then I might be running into a problem with the software freezing at this point rather than a problem with the usbuirt.

If I've missed anything please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
UltimaSE
UltimaSE

Postby jrhees » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:46 am

UltimaSE,

You say 'I have to hold the remote very close...'

-This is correct -- so, when you do this, does Sage proceed?

I have heard of people having issues with Sage using both the TX and RX functions of the USB-UIRT *AND* running Sage as a service...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:42 pm

When holding the remote extremely close I can get the a small bundled program you released on sagetv forums to learn the '0' key and repeat it to the digital cable box.

But regardless of where I hold the remote to the usbuirt distancewise or directionwise, the red light does come on, but sagetv does not proceed from "hold down the 0 key"

Thanks again,
UltimaSE

Postby jrhees » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:01 pm

Yes, sounds like Sage is hanging for some reason. Please see if you are running Sage as a Service (I don't know the details of how to figure this out). Also, you could try manually creating a Sage .IR file by using lrnHelper to get the codes.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:46 am

jrhees wrote:Yes, sounds like Sage is hanging for some reason. Please see if you are running Sage as a Service (I don't know the details of how to figure this out). Also, you could try manually creating a Sage .IR file by using lrnHelper to get the codes.

-Jon

I am having this problem as well. The lrnhelper utility sees codes in the top part (but the bottom "learning" section does nothing). Jon, did the guy get back to you with an indication that he managed to get this working.

BTW, thx for the replacement USBUIRT. Will email you abt this.

Robert Czernkowski

Can someone tell me if this has worked?

Postby macdoug1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:03 pm

I was wondering if you had any luck with this problem you had? I'm getting the same problem as you and I was looking for a solution. I've been messing with this for weeks on end now and I'm thinking that this software is not working correctly or it doesn't like the USB-UIRT device. I'm running sagetv 4.x and can't get past this step.
macdoug1

Postby G-man » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:53 pm

Be sure the "sagetvservice.exe" is not running and try reinstall.
G-man

Postby fastoy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:55 am

G-man wrote:Be sure the "sagetvservice.exe" is not running and try reinstall.

How do I make sure that the "sagetvservice.exe" is not running? Do I need to have ANY of Sage running to reinstall? And by the way, reinstall what?
UPDATE:
Using the SageTV Service Control, I have "Use SageTV Service: No" and "SageTV Service State:Stopped" and I have the same problem as the above users.
When I learn what I need to reinstall do I have to uninstall anything beforehand?
fastoy

Postby jrhees » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:44 pm

I think what was mean by 'reinstall' is to rerun the Sage setup wizard. With the Service stopped you should be able to use Sage's built-in learn wizard. If you still have issues, contact support@usbuirt.com

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:49 pm

jrhees wrote:I think what was mean by 'reinstall' is to rerun the Sage setup wizard. With the Service stopped you should be able to use Sage's built-in learn wizard. If you still have issues, contact support@usbuirt.com

-Jon

Thanks. You'll see from my note above that I did have the Sage service stopped.
I found a suggestion in this thread http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9727&highlight=error+learning+remote+control+code that I needed to have the remote VERY close to the USB-UIRT during training. I'll try that tonight.

Postby fastoy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:07 am

I'm the "guest" above. Sorry. I thought I was logged in.
Tonight I tried "reinstalling" the USB-UIRT and held the remote about 6 inches from the USB-UIRT receiver. It worked fine. For clarity, "reinstalling" means to remove the source from Sage in the setup dialog and adding it back. This process takes you through the Sage "learning" process for the USB-UIRT.
As noted earlier, I was NOT running Sage in the service mode.
fastoy

Return to Troubleshooting