Unit stopped controlling previously working receiver

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Unit stopped controlling previously working receiver

Postby Thrag » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I've got a new USB-UIRT that I've programmed through homeseer to control a Samsung HLT series DLP TV and a Harman Kardon AVR510 receiver. Both were initially working great, but yesterday it stopped controlling the receiver. I went through normal troubleshooting things (restart everything, re-learn codes, etc.) but nothing worked. It appears that when I send one of the learned codes for the receiver, no signal is really sent. The LED on the front of the UIRT blinks, however I have a wireless IR extender (from radio shack) that has a blinking LED that shows when it receives a signal and it doesn't blink. It used to blink for the receiver codes too, and it still does for the TV (note, the USB-UIRT is in the same room as the receiver, it does not go through the IR extender).

Does this mean the unit has failed? Does it have two emitters for different frequency ranges and perhaps the one that the TV uses is fine but the one that the Receiver uses no longer works?
Thrag

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

I would suspect it is not the USB-UIRT but a software issue. I would test the USB-UIRT using lrnhelper which can be downloaded here. This is a simple application developed by Jon Rhees and is the best way to test the function of the USB-UIRT.
canoewhiteh2o

Postby Thrag » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm

I downloaded the helper app and did a quick learn and send and it worked. So thankfully it's not a hardware issue.

edit: I found the issue. Once the hardware was ruled out I checked the IR Signals page in homeseer and noticed that the receiver was set to "output zone" 2. I set it back to 1 and it works again. I'm not even sure yet what that setting does. I was adding a bunch of signals to the page recently and must have selected the drop down list by accident at some point.
Thrag

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Thrag wrote:...noticed that the receiver was set to "output zone" 2. I set it back to 1 and it works again. I'm not even sure yet what that setting does. I was adding a bunch of signals to the page recently and must have selected the drop down list by accident at some point.
Check out the posting here for a description of USB-UIRT zones.
canoewhiteh2o

Return to Troubleshooting