Problem controlling Motorola DCX3400 cable box

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Problem controlling Motorola DCX3400 cable box

Postby Thrag » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 am

I recently purchased a USB-UIRT to provide IR control for my Homeseer 2 system. So far I set it up to control my TV and receiver and those have worked perfectly, but I've hit a wall with my cable box. It's a new Motorola DCX3400 from Comcast. Through homeseer I can get the learn dialog and it seems to work fine for the Comcast remote. However when I send the code, nothing happens on the cable box. Anyone have one of these cable boxes working with the USB-UIRT?
Thrag

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 am

The problem you are having has to do with the protocol used by the DCX3400. This box uses the XMP protocol which it seems all learning remotes have difficulty learning. If you have Excel and the Analysis Toolpak addin you can download the spreadsheet from here and all the functions should be listed. The Analysis Toolpak is a free addin from Microsoft.
canoewhiteh2o

Postby Thrag » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Can someone give me or point me to some more detailed directions? I know homeseer stores the IR codes in the registry, but that's about all I know so far. I've got the spreadsheet, but I don't have excel on this machine, only open office calc so I don't know if what I'm seeing is correct. There are rows with the names of all the functions, but each row has several columns of codes, which do I paste into the registry? Do I just paste in the code or does it get prefixed by something? Any help would be appreciated.
Thrag

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 pm

You have to have Excel with the addin for the speadsheet to work - OO Calc will not do it. If you provide your email I will provide a static version in tab delimited format. This will only provide you the Pronto Hex. You will have to figure out how to get the hex values into Homeseer.
canoewhiteh2o

Return to Troubleshooting